Manny would extend with Cubs

Dark Helmet

47 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Too early to say that

No it's not. You Angelos is not going to give Manny 250 to 300 million dollar contract. Nor should he. This team has more issues than Manny. Best case is trade him. It would not surprise me if Angelos nixes a trade. Manny walks. O's get a pick. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

No it's not. You Angelos is not going to give Manny 250 to 300 million dollar contract. Nor should he. This team has more issues than Manny. Best case is trade him. It would not surprise me if Angelos nixes a trade. Manny walks. O's get a pick. 

He said that the org gambled and lost. That is impossible to know before seeing what Manny does on his next contract.

If this were actually true...it could make the return of a trade significantly more valuable for us.   Even a window of negotiation would drastically increase the return and certainly an actual trade and sign would bring a major amount in return.  But both Manny and the union would likely never do either of these.    And really, neither would I if I was in Manny's shoes.  There is no deal that he might make now that he likely would not get a better one in the offseason free agent competition.  

34 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If this were actually true...it could make the return of a trade significantly more valuable for us.   Even a window of negotiation would drastically increase the return and certainly an actual trade and sign would bring a major amount in return.  But both Manny and the union would likely never do either of these.    And really, neither would I if I was in Manny's shoes.  There is no deal that he might make now that he likely would not get a better one in the offseason free agent competition.  

This.  If it's with the Cubs, you have to wonder if Baez becomes available.  Baez plus Happ plus Alzolay plus Little?

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This.  If it's with the Cubs, you have to wonder if Baez becomes available.  Baez plus Happ plus Alzolay plus Little?

It's hard to imagine them parting with both Baez and Happ. That would be incredible get for us if they are though. Happ and Russell are probably more realistic ceiling in terms of return value. 

18 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's hard to imagine them parting with both Baez and Happ. That would be incredible get for us if they are though. Happ and Russell are probably more realistic ceiling in terms of return value. 

Quite possible.  If Russell, Happ, Alzolay and another pitcher are the return, I could live with that.  Gotta think Alzolay has less value now that he's hurt.

41 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

What could we get if we put a reliever in the deal too?   I think the Cubs could still use some help there.   (Bullpen blew a lead in the 8th today).

I have a hard time believing that Manny will wind up with the Cubs.  Any contending team hoping to acquire Manny for the stretch run will mostly want to trade prospects, not players who are currently helping the team at the major league level.  The Cubs don't have any highly rated prospects.   I think the Cubs would be willing to part with Addison Russell or Javier Baez (whoever's regular lineup spot Manny would take) but I think other teams could offer more than Russell and whatever prospects the Cubs have to offer. 

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I have a hard time believing that Manny will wind up with the Cubs.  Any contending team hoping to acquire Manny for the stretch run will mostly want to trade prospects, not players who are currently helping the team at the major league level.  The Cubs don't have any highly rated prospects.   I think the Cubs would be willing to part with Addison Russell or Javier Baez (whoever's regular lineup spot Manny would take) but I think other teams could offer more than Russell and whatever prospects the Cubs have to offer. 

Exactly. Don’t waste our time. But Theo is one savvy guy...the best there is.

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I still think he goes to the Phillies.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

JP Crawford got drilled on the left hand tonight and had to leave the game.  Might make them more apt to make the move.

They're in it and they're weak on offense. They've been terrible for six years - their Front Office might be a bit more aggressive than a typical team. Any package with Sixto Sanchez probably gets it done for the O's.

Archived