Machado booed at home

Going Underground

So the fans saw he was not hustling but Buck who we are told sees everything on the field could not tell but would have to look at replay. i know he did not want to throw Manny under the bus but a lame statement. Perhaps Manny hurt himself when he fell down on two swings in his first at bat and the Orioles want to cover it up . Dempsey was funny when he said that he did not look like he was hustling and then said I really don't want to talk about it. Just another day in a great Oriole season.  Also on  Manny's last at bat when he hit a grounder to short , the SS double clutched and still got him by plenty. Maybe he is slightly hurt and don't want his trade value to drop but scouts can see it ,if i can see it. Are reporters allowed to ask Manny about the play? i guess not.

Manny Machado, the team’s beloved likely All-Star possibly playing his final games in an Orioles uniform at Camden Yards, was the recipient of a chorus of boos from the home crowd after he casually trotted up the first-base line on a double-play ball he might have beaten out if he were quick out of the batter’s box.

“I know he’s wanting to cash in,” Showalter said of Machado. “I haven’t looked at it closely whether he slipped out of the box or what. I’m not going to make an excuse for him until I look at it. Manny plays every day. I know he’s probably frustrated there. Their guy took his time. Usually, when a ball is hit that firmly it’s a pretty easy double play. He just took his time and Manny allowed him to take more time than he normally would. It’ll be addressed.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-recap-2018027-story.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A different time.

Carlton Fisk: Nobody Disrespected Game Like Deion: On Joe Morgan's new syndicated radio show on Sports USA Radio, Carlton Fisk shared a story about playing against Deion Sanders when "Neon Deion" didn't run after popping the ball up. "I started yelling at him, 'Run the ball out,'" Fisk said. "I don't know if anybody I have played against has disrespected the game like he appears to be doing. So he comes up again and draws a dollar sign in the dirt. And you know what he says? He says, 'Hey, man, the days of slavery are over.' I stood up and walked up to him face to face and I said, 'I don't care whether you are black or blue or pink or red. ... If you don't start playing this game right, I'm going to kick your butt right here'."

This is not new. "Fans" were booing Eddie Murray, playing on bad hammies at the  end of his first O's stint. Let's end it in class folks. This team is not easy to watch or play for...out of it after 25 games with 136 to go....isn't easy for anybody.

19 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

This is not new. "Fans" were booing Eddie Murray, playing on bad hammies at the  end of his first O's stint. Let's end it in class folks. This team is not easy to watch or play for...out of it after 25 games with 136 to go....isn't easy for anybody.

Thanks, I was thinking the exact same thing.

17 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Apples and oranges. There's a big difference between playing hurt and being lazy. Manny's being paid to do a job. I don't care of they have 10 wins or 100 wins; he still should be running out ground balls. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Apples and oranges. There's a big difference between playing hurt and being lazy. Manny's being paid to do a job. I don't care of they have 10 wins or 100 wins; he still should be running out ground balls. 

Are you old enough to have watched Eddie?

Some fans were calling Eddie LAZY. Which he was far from, it was pretty ugly here and that was long before social media arrived to help people complain.

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Apples and oranges. There's a big difference between playing hurt and being lazy. Manny's being paid to do a job. I don't care of they have 10 wins or 100 wins; he still should be running out ground balls

Well Manny figured he already had an out recorded for the play at second. It doesn't help his stats if he is safe at first.

I so hope the Yankees sign him to a long contract.  He will be persucted in the New York press and I don't see Manny lasting past 30. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Are you old enough to have watched Eddie?

Some fans were calling Eddie LAZY. Which he was far from, it was pretty ugly here and that was long before social media arrived to help people complain.

I was young, but yes. I always took anything said about Eddie in the press with a grain of salt because they were looking for reasons to vilify him after he stopped talking to them. The critique of Eddie wasn't justified...the critique of Manny somewhat is. It's not the first time he hasn't hustled. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I was young, but yes. I always took anything said about Eddie in the press with a grain of salt because they were looking for reasons to vilify him after he stopped talking to them. The critique of Eddie wasn't justified...the critique of Manny somewhat is. It's not the first time he hasn't hustled. 

I am pretty sure, it was Cal that said later on in history, that Eddie was so athletic that he didn't look like he was trying hard, but if you really look back, and watch, dang, that dude covered a lot of ground. It gave people a misconception, of course, the media being the media, and didn't like the guy, cut him no slack at all.

Once the B-more fans heard through the "grapevine" that Eddie wanted out, well, they were done with him. They were ready to pack his bags, and drive him to the nearest train/bus/airport.

22 minutes ago, Finisher said:

He constantly loafs. Won't be sorry to see him go.

I agree.  He's a great player, but once he gets paid I see him becoming a VERY lazy ballplayer.  I'm glad he'll be elsewhere.  He will not duplicate the first half of his career once he gets paid his lottery winning contract.

Archived