Brady helped with plan to convert Yacabonis to starter

Going Underground

There will be no bigger test than Thursday against the Seattle Mariners, but that the pitching-starved Orioles are handing him such an opportunity is as much a product of that reality as the organization's vision for Yacabonis.

Vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson helped create a consensus for the plan with Showalter, executive vice president Dan Duquette, farm director Brian Graham and pitching coach Roger McDowell. Anderson said Yacabonis mentioned the possibility last season, and the fact that the 26-year-old right-hander "has maybe the best fastball in the organization" in many of their estimations helped.

"But, he also had struggled with command," Anderson said. "You don't really get a lot of practice as a reliever, especially coming to the big leagues a few times. If you have that type of fastball, you see his body — he's got super broad shoulders, a long body, long arms, big hands. But the most critical thing is that he wanted to do it."

While it never took for Liranzo, Scott used the three-inning starts he was handed for game action, then developed a plus slider and worked on his delivery during the bullpen sessions between starts.

But that was mostly done with the goal of making them better relievers. Showalter said it can be both, but the team's needs are always for starting pitchers. Anderson said the two plans are not the same, and that "we need starting pitching.”

"He's delivered so far," Anderson said.

Anderson said the first thing Yacabonis told him was how much he liked pitching out of the windup, something he didn't do as a reliever but has helped his slider and changeup play up. It's also challenged Yacabonis to throw more strikes and attack hitters, something Showalter has pushed him to do whenever he's gotten the chance.

"Let's let this guy develop," Anderson said. "Let's not disrupt him and bring him up for an inning or two, and keep him on schedule. Because if we ever need a starter, that would be certainly more beneficial than bringing a guy up for an inning or two and sending him back down. It was done with the intention of developing Jimmy, and taking care of him simultaneously, the best way that we could."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-jimmy-yacabonis-20180628-story.html

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

There will be no bigger test than Thursday against the Seattle Mariners, but that the pitching-starved Orioles are handing him such an opportunity is as much a product of that reality as the organization's vision for Yacabonis.

Vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson helped create a consensus for the plan with Showalter, executive vice president Dan Duquette, farm director Brian Graham and pitching coach Roger McDowell. Anderson said Yacabonis mentioned the possibility last season, and the fact that the 26-year-old right-hander "has maybe the best fastball in the organization" in many of their estimations helped.

"But, he also had struggled with command," Anderson said. "You don't really get a lot of practice as a reliever, especially coming to the big leagues a few times. If you have that type of fastball, you see his body — he's got super broad shoulders, a long body, long arms, big hands. But the most critical thing is that he wanted to do it."

While it never took for Liranzo, Scott used the three-inning starts he was handed for game action, then developed a plus slider and worked on his delivery during the bullpen sessions between starts.

But that was mostly done with the goal of making them better relievers. Showalter said it can be both, but the team's needs are always for starting pitchers. Anderson said the two plans are not the same, and that "we need starting pitching.”

"He's delivered so far," Anderson said.

Anderson said the first thing Yacabonis told him was how much he liked pitching out of the windup, something he didn't do as a reliever but has helped his slider and changeup play up. It's also challenged Yacabonis to throw more strikes and attack hitters, something Showalter has pushed him to do whenever he's gotten the chance.

"Let's let this guy develop," Anderson said. "Let's not disrupt him and bring him up for an inning or two, and keep him on schedule. Because if we ever need a starter, that would be certainly more beneficial than bringing a guy up for an inning or two and sending him back down. It was done with the intention of developing Jimmy, and taking care of him simultaneously, the best way that we could."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-jimmy-yacabonis-20180628-story.html

I do love that Brady is taking more responsibility for things.  Maybe that means he'll be held accountable.

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Very interesting Brady is making these calls. What was Graham’s role? Wouldn’t he make these calls?

Also, I love his deceptive delivery, but best FB in the system?

Apparently Brady makes whatever calls he "wants" to make. Brady "Carte Blanche" Anderson.

Just now, Dipper9 said:

What difference does it make?  If he pitches well and we score, the bullpen will blow it.  

It matters a tiny bit for 2019 and Jimmy’s future.  That’s about it. 2018 is toast. 

If I were an Orioles player or prospect, I would certainly make sure to have long, deep conversation with Brady. I would tell him about my hopes and dreams, longing for his advice on anything he wanted to advise me on.

Somehow I think my Baltimore opportunities will suddenly improve. ;)

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If I were an Orioles player or prospect, I would certainly make sure to have long, deep conversation with Brady. I would tell him about my hopes and dreams, longing for his advice on anything he wanted to advise me on.

Somehow I think my Baltimore opportunities will suddenly improve. ;)

*Quickly sends Brady a gift card to GNC on Wynns behalf.*

I swear, everything seems to lead back to Brady. Soon we will hear how he was the true architect for Camden Yards...

Archived