Nick's an All Star

25 Nuggets

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I am impressed.  Usually it takes more effort to tick someone off.  I do not know what your issue is or issues are or what I could have possibly done to offend you.  However I do apologize if I somehow hurt you.  And I wish you well in your future endeavors.  And I do so in high confidence that those endeavors will not be here.

So again, I say Goodbye. 

Mods once Chuck is erased you may feel free to do so here as well.  Thanks for the quick reaction.

Who are you talking to?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How exactly was anyone supposed to "see" that Markakis would put up three straight years of .7-1.7 WAR performance and then put up a ~6 win year in year four?  How do you scout that?

I'll agree that they should have shied away from keeping Davis and O'Day, and I said as much at the time.

At the time, I wasn't for resigning Markakis either, though he was one my favorite players. I didn't like to see him go at all, but I thought the Orioles would be a contender for the duration of his new contract and needed to upgrade the position. If I had known they would nothing to replace him and if I had envisioned the black hole that the O's RF would have become in his absence, there's no question I would be all for resigning him.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, Uli2001 said:

At the time, I wasn't for resigning Markakis either, though he was one my favorite players. I didn't like to see him go at all, but I thought the Orioles would be a contender for the duration of his new contract and needed to upgrade the position. If I had known they would nothing to replace him and if I had envisioned the black hole that the O's RF would have become in his absence, there's no question I would be all for resigning him.

That was a tough offseason because of the Toronto fiasco with our GM. Plus who knows if Nick would be having this type of success in a division loaded with LH SP. The NL East has more spacious OFs that neutralize the shift. 

On 7/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, Can_of_corn said:

dWAR doesn't equal oWAR doesn't equal WAR.  This is why Trumbo's 3.0 oWAR added to his -2.1 dWAR = 1.9 rWAR.

This is something I've never quite understood since "# of wins above replacement" denotes a linear method of TOTAL = Sum (components)

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

This is something I've never quite understood since "# of wins above replacement" denotes a linear method of TOTAL = Sum (components)

The reason is that the positional component is counted in both oWAR and dWAR and thus is double counted if you try to add them.   This isn’t exact, but if you take oWAR + dWAR - .1(Rpos), that comes very close to total rWAR.    The reason you multiply Rpos by .1 is that Rpos is expressed in runs, and roughly 10 runs = 1 wIn.   

Archived