LHP John Means is ready for his opportunity

Tony-OH

• 2 weeks later...

https://pilotonline.com/sports/baseball/norfolk-tides/article_ed7e81cc-9b42-11e8-acd3-2772361c3870.html

In 83 Triple-A innings entering Thursday’s scheduled start against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Means has struck out 72 and walked just 14. He’s holding left-handed hitters to a .182 average.

“Since that time that we talked about it, he’s turned it around to his advantage,” said Griffin, who said he was “stunned” to learn that Means had no college offers out of high school. “And that’s the results that he has gotten to this point. And so I’m really pleased with that.”

Johnson credits Griffin, a longtime member of his staff in multiple organizations, with helping Means develop confidence in his secondary stuff.

“His name has been talked about, and probably will continue to be,” Johnson said. “And I think that’s all Griff. I really do.”

Of course, Means has himself to thank for some of his development. He entered the season with a 3.87 career ERA at five levels of the farm system.

That includes low Class A Delmarva, where Means pitched a seven-inning no-hitter in 2015. It was the Shorebirds’ first no-no in 17 years.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Are the Orioles sponsored by Kay Jewelers or something?

I think there have been about 15 weddings and just as many engagements by Orioles players (on the 40) and in the system.

I think it is nice,  I remember Frank Robinson speaking about his wife raising their children. 

I'm not sure if the stability of a family helps or hinders a man striving to be one of the best 800 at the sport in the world. 

32 minutes ago, weams said:

I think it is nice,  I remember Frank Robinson speaking about his wife raising their children. 

I'm not sure if the stability of a family helps or hinders a man striving to be one of the best 800 at the sport in the world. 

Women weaken legs.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Are the Orioles sponsored by Kay Jewelers or something?

I think there have been about 15 weddings and just as many engagements by Orioles players (on the 40) and in the system.

Maybe thats the reason we've been playing so terribly.  As a coach, I always tell my players the the only thing that will will take you out of this game quicker than an arm injury is a girl.  

I kid, I kid, congrats to the dude. Remember to put the toilet seat down, etc, etc.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Maybe thats the reason we've been playing so terribly.  As a coach, I always tell my players the the only thing that will will take you out of this game quicker than an arm injury is a girl.  

I kid, I kid, congrats to the dude. Remember to put the toilet seat down, etc, etc.

What's funny is, the majority of them are players that made their debut in the last 2 seasons:

Means, Fry, Sisco, Stewart, Hays...

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 1:45 PM, Tony-OH said:

In a season in which the Orioles are trotting out Jimmy Yacabonis and Yefry Rodriguez as starters, it's time to give John Means a look. Means has a 2.28 ERA with 38 K's and 3 BB's in his last 6 starts at AAA-Norfolk. He has seemed to have found the consistency that has eluded him over his career. Means has always flashed Major League stuff at times, but it just came and went so often that it was tough to think of him as more than a fringe prospect. 

I'm going to go back and watch some of his starts of late, but at the end of the day, if you are going to give opportunities to young pitchers and see what they've got, it's time to give John Means some starts. Yacabonis and Rodriguez are not long-term solutions as starters. Means may not be either, but in a lost season, there's no reason not to give him a shot.

o

(ALMOST 1 YEAR LATER)

I'm glad that the Orioles heeded your advice. 

What it Means for Means to Be an All-Star

(By Roch Kubato)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/06/what-it-means-for-means-to-be-considered-for-all-star-game.html

o

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine being a young baseball player, playing well for a Major League team and wanting to get married.  I can't even fathom it.  

Anyway, I hope Means keeps up the great pitching and lands on the All Star team.  I think it's a foregone conclusion that Trey is our representative but it'd be cool if we got two.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can't imagine being a young baseball player, playing well for a Major League team and wanting to get married.  I can't even fathom it.  

Anyway, I hope Means keeps up the great pitching and lands on the All Star team.  I think it's a foregone conclusion that Trey is our representative but it'd be cool if we got two.

George Brett did it the way I would (except for the part where I have no baseball talent), he didn’t get married until his playing days were over.