Mullins and Stewart aren't getting any younger

FanSince88

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. You can't group Jones and Trumbo together. Jones provides leadership/veteran presence and his defensive holes can hidden in LF or RF. He also comes off the books after this season. Trumbo, on the other hand, provides no leadership, is apparently a clubhouse sour puss, can't play in the field, and is still under contract for another year.  

Trumbo is the most depressing player on the team.  He doesn't even like the pies.  You could say well we can bury Davis on the bench next season but we have Trumbo as well. I would just eat his salary and release him.   Treat it as a life lesson.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Trumbo is the most depressing player on the team.  He doesn't even like the pies.  You could say well we can bury Davis on the bench next season but we have Trumbo as well. I would just eat his salary and release him.   Treat it as a life lesson.  

Can't have a guy on the team who doesn't like pies! 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. You can't group Jones and Trumbo together. Jones provides leadership/veteran presence and his defensive holes can hidden in LF or RF. He also comes off the books after this season. Trumbo, on the other hand, provides no leadership, is apparently a clubhouse sour puss, can't play in the field, and is still under contract for another year.  

I think this clubhouse sourpuss thing is completely in the imagination of certain Hangouters.   The O’s would not have re-signed him if they thought he was a negative in the clubhouse.   He had one on camera moment where he was mildly irritated at getting a pie in the face and somehow people who love drama have inflated that into a huge deal.    It just isn’t.    

Now, as to whether another team would want Trumbo at his salary, I doubt it.     But that’s just based purely on his play in the field, not any clubhouse factors.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

More like, knocking on the door and then running away before someone opens it.

Looking at you in particular, Hayes.

I would like to see Hays get a long look at AAA before he's promoted too. Just because alot of AAA pitchers are on the 40 man and are borderline MLB talent. 

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think this clubhouse sourpuss thing is completely in the imagination of certain Hangouters.   The O’s would not have re-signed him if they thought he was a negative in the clubhouse.   He had one on camera moment where he was mildly irritated at getting a pie in the face and somehow people who love drama have inflated that into a huge deal.    It just isn’t.    

Now, as to whether another team would want Trumbo at his salary, I doubt it.     But that’s just based purely on his play in the field, not any clubhouse factors.   

Wasn't he responsible for the pie ban? And maybe sour puss was a bit of a reach, but I don't see Trumbo as being the mentor/leader type. Just my speculative opinion. 

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

To be honest, I could probably live with Trumbo and his personality if he could play even an average right field. Having an unplayable player, in Davis, and positionless players, like Trumbo and Mancini, on the roster just makes it that much harder for the manager. There's no way they'll release Trumbo. We'll be stuck watching him bat cleanup and butcher fly balls for one more year. 

I think Mullins is here within the next 2 weeks, assuming Jones is traded.  I hope Stewart is too, it's time to see what he can do, if anything.  Might have to wait until 9/1, but we'll see.

I think Mullins is our center fielder next year and maybe September, but there's no big rush since he's had less than a season of AAA.

My feeling is that Stewart is a 4A player. He may end up as a fourth outfielder, but I like Trumbo's chances at the plate a lot better than a guy hitting .250 in the International League.

I'm hoping for an outfield of Mullins, McKenna or Hays and Verdugo by the end of the 2019 season.

7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think Mullins is our center fielder next year and maybe September, but there's no big rush since he's had less than a season of AAA.

My feeling is that Stewart is a 4A player. He may end up as a fourth outfielder, but I like Trumbo's chances at the plate a lot better than a guy hitting .250 in the International League.

I'm hoping for an outfield of Mullins, McKenna or Hays and Verdugo by the end of the 2019 season.

Maybe...but I'd rather see what Stewart can do in the Majors right now and see if he sinks or swims. I think giving Stewart at bats over Trumbo and Davis is better for this team long term even if Trumbo gives you better ABs right now.

I'd personally love to give the OF to Mullins, Stewart and Verdugo (if he's acquired) down the stretch, but would allow the likes of Hays or McKenna or others to displace someone who is not performing.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I want the rebuild to happen just as bad as anyone else does but I just can't get excited by our prospects.  I think we constantly overrate our guys because we have nothing else to cling to.

I can't agree with this more, Moose. I'd rather see Jones and some of the veterans out there, honestly, because I have super low expectations for the O's prospects. Especially, DJ Stewart.

I've been reading this board since 2005 and anytime I tell any of my baseball friends about something I read on the Hangout - they always laugh dismissively and say something about how the posters here constantly want to blow up the team so the O's can call up some two-skill C+/B- prospect. It's hyperbole, but they unfortunately kind of have a point.

3 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Heck, I'd be fine with us eating half of Trumbo's remaining salary if we can find a suitor for that kind of deal, just so these guys -- who are the FUTURE of our franchise -- can have some room on the roster.  

They are? How do we know? 

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I can't agree with this more, Moose. I'd rather see Jones and some of the veterans out there, honestly, because I have super low expectations for the O's prospects. Especially, DJ Stewart.

I've been reading this board since 2005 and anytime I tell any of my baseball friends about something I read on the Hangout - they always laugh dismissively and say something about how the posters here constantly want to blow up the team so the O's can call up some two-skill C+/B- prospect. It's hyperbole, but they unfortunately kind of have a point.

Well, I'd still like to see them up, but I don't have any expectations.  I love Jones but he's not the future of this team.  Eyes need to be on the future.  I'd love to be proven wrong and see Mullins and Stewart come up and kill it but I have my doubts.  

But yes, we're always hyping our B- prospects around here.  I would think we'd have learned by now.

Archived