Yusniel Diaz: Where would he rank in the O's pipeline?

wildcard

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

That makes sense...I get the whole idea of just go with the best talent regardless of position and they'll work out the details later. At the same time, it's good to diversify the positional aspect at least a little bit. Mountcastle seems to be a LF/DH in the making and add that to Mullins, Hayes, Stewart, Mancini, and whatever other surprises come along then it looks like a problem. Especially considering the lack of talent pretty much everywhere else on the field. 

Why I was kind of hoping for Lux and Mays and not Diaz since this team has a plethora of OF prospects, even if none are currently as good as Diaz is right now. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oriole said:

I know I'm in the minority, but do we really need another OF prospect? Someone has to play middle infield...

You get the best prospect you can in a trade. You don't turndown a good prospect because he's OF and you need pitching or IF. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Why I was kind of hoping for Lux and Mays and not Diaz since this team has a plethora of OF prospects, even if none are currently as good as Diaz is right now. 

And some of those you can trade. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

And some of those you can trade. 

How often do you see a prospect for prospect swap? We certainly don't need any major league pieces right now assuming we're not going for it for a while. 

BP has Mountcastle ahead of Diaz in it's mid-season list.  Mountcastle is showing he can flat out rake, but I will note that Diaz has 6 HRs in 59 games this season plus 2 in the Futures Game with four of those eight HRs since July 4.  If Diaz can continue to show improved power, he might pass Mountcastle before the end of the year.

I would have Mountcastle, Diaz, Hall, Hays and GrayRod in my top 5.  Add in Mullins, McKenna, Lowther, Akin and others plus the Britton trade and other pieces of the MM trade plus other 2018 draft picks and it is a system starting to fill out nicely - probably getting to 15-20 names of guys with legit tools/skills to get to the majors.

If we had been international players the past two or three seasons, …. Hopefully, soon.

27 minutes ago, oriole said:

That makes sense...I get the whole idea of just go with the best talent regardless of position and they'll work out the details later. At the same time, it's good to diversify the positional aspect at least a little bit. Mountcastle seems to be a LF/DH in the making and add that to Mullins, Hayes, Stewart, Mancini, and whatever other surprises come along then it looks like a problem. Especially considering the lack of talent pretty much everywhere else on the field. 

Yeah, once the trade deadline is over and they basically know what their inventory of talent is, then they got to figure out where they want to play Mountcastle, Schoop, Beckham and anyone else that may figure into the infield.  And then probably see if it makes sense to make trades that even out the roster - especially if they see they need an infielder and can fill it with the surplus of OFers.  .  

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

#1,  don't think it's particularly close.

That’s what I want to hear. I don’t know much about prospects, but I’ve heard the word “stud” thrown around when talking about Diaz. Do we have any studs in our system?

DJ Tanner
12:49
Does Yusniel Diaz's ETA move up with a trade to the O's? Does he overtake Mountcastle as their top prospect? Also with his 2 HR performance, do you see his projections going up?

Kiley McDaniel
12:50
We have the O's list currently as a pretty clear top 3 of Hays, Mountcastle and Hall, and you could probably put those in any order. Diaz jumps into that group and probably in the top 3, but we haven't lined them up yet.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

How often do you see a prospect for prospect swap? We certainly don't need any major league pieces right now assuming we're not going for it for a while. 

Closest example I can think of is Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda. And even at that point, Pineda has MLB success.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I’m guessing he is number one, number two at worst.  Mountcastle rakes but he doesn’t take pitches which is going to catch up to him.  And he can’t really play defense.

Mountcastle is taking a lot more pitches this year.    But not like Diaz does.

Archived