Tillman DFA

TonySoprano

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Contractually, I believe they were at the end of his rehab, and they had to make a decision, and based on rehab results, it was clear, he wasn't ready.

I don't think he'll ever be "ready", he's likely done at the MLB level barring something crazy. But as I said, I don't see a real downside to doing what we're doing. He's not "taking up" anyone's spot in AAA. There is plenty of org. depth peices that won't ever amount to anything at the MLB level there. It's a non-story.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ISU94 said:

I don't think he'll ever be "ready", he's likely done at the MLB level barring something crazy. But as I said, I don't see a real downside to doing what we're doing. He's not "taking up" anyone's spot in AAA. There is plenty of org. depth peices that won't ever amount to anything at the MLB level there. It's a non-story.

We thought Gonzo and Jake was done too. Its not over for Tilly, but, I wouldn't bet my rent money on him coming back.

10 minutes ago, esmd said:

Ugh.  Just cut the cord, guys.

I'm ok with them letting Tillman decide on this one.  He likely has put in a lot of effort to try and get back.  He did well for this team and giving him time to decide is a good way to go about it.

10 minutes ago, esmd said:

Sure there is.  Tillman can't even get guys out at Aberdeen.  Aberdeen!  There's no useful purpose in keeping him in the organization.  Almost anyone else they have in the minors would be a better option to pitch at Norfolk than Tillman.  Cut.  The.  Cord.

Absolutely. These guys don’t like saying goodbye to anyone.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

We thought Gonzo and Jake was done too. Its not over for Tilly, but, I wouldn't bet my rent money on him coming back.

Eh, I don't think anyone thought Jake was done. Tilly has lost a ton of velo and is getting lit up at lower levels. Arrieta just had some bad guys in his ears/things he had to work on. These are vastly different situations.

Just now, ISU94 said:

Eh, I don't think anyone thought Jake was done. Tilly has lost a ton of velo and is getting lit up at lower levels. Arrieta just had some bad guys in his ears/things he had to work on. These are vastly different situations.

OH was ready to pack his bags and walk him to the bus station. His stuff wasn't working here.

Leave it to the cubs to find a giddy up in his motion and for Jake to listen to the coaching, and he become a real pitcher then.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I'd bet my rent money that he'd come back...after a successful surgery operation and a rehab. He's only 30, but his velocity has been down and he's had nagging injuries.

This is a bit different than Gonzo when Duquette cut him right after spring training. Tillman got *way* more leeway here.

And Jake Arrieta was only 27 when he was traded. I don't think most people thought he wouldn't amount to anything. I think people thought he wouldn't amount to anything with the O's.

Yeah, we should definitely be worried about the Orioles keeping Tillman and putting him in AAA. Taking that spot from 28 yr old Tim Mellville with a 6.19 ERA is going to kill us down the road.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

OH was ready to pack his bags and walk him to the bus station. His stuff wasn't working here.

Leave it to the cubs to find a giddy up in his motion and for Jake to listen to the coaching, and he become a real pitcher then.

And get his cutter back, yeah?

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Yeah, he wasn't working here. That happens sometimes. Doesn't mean anyone thought he didn't have "it". He clearly had good stuff and potential still. The guy was a top 20 prospect with tremendous upside. 

Tillman is on the backside of his career hitting in the high 80's velo wise and getting lit up in A ball.

Again, not exactly the same situation really at all. Tillman isn't working out in A ball, Arrieta wasn't working out in the bigs but dominating lower levels and still displaying great stuff while pitching.

Archived