Former Orioles farmhand: " I was pretty broken" when he left organization

Tony-OH

53 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There was a quote from somebody and I swear, I wish I could find it or remember it better.

Basically, they were talking about why Ed-Rod was having more consistency with the Red Sox, then he showed here at AA.

The gist of the quote, was, the trade was a wake-up call and change of scenery was good for him, and once he started listening better, the results on the field improved.

Well, not sure of that quote, but I obviously talk to many people in the organization and I don't recall any telling me there was a coaching issue with him at all.

At the end of the day, he certainly started pitching better when he got to the Red Sox organization because when I saw him at Bowie his slider was not very good and he was basically a fastball, changeup guy with below average command.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tony-OH said:

Well, not sure of that quote, but I obviously talk to many people in the organization and I don't recall any telling me there was a coaching issue with him at all.

At the end of the day, he certainly started pitching better when he got to the Red Sox organization because when I saw him at Bowie his slider was not very good and he was basically a fastball, changeup guy with below average command.

Obviously, you would be a better judge, getting to talk to people, than just picking up something, somebody threw out there, sorry it stuck in my brain.

I also saw him at Bowie and not the slightest impressed, other than he was a lefty and they are always in short supply.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:24 AM, Tony-OH said:

At the end of the day I found his quote interesting, for no other reason then he went out of his way to say it when he got interviewed.

He could have said he got some kind of great coaching in INDY ball, or figured some things out during his time in INDY ball, but instead he stated how broken he was when he left the Orioles organization after his previous success (Which by the way happened to be high school and explains a little about about his perception).

Now I've heard multiple stories over the years of a lack of communication with players, and perhaps he kinda fell through the cracks because he wasn't a big prospect. I'm not saying the Orioles did anything wrong here or not, I'm just saying I find the comments interesting because most players would never say something like that due to the business of the game (You never want to burn bridges).

I never saw the kid pitch live and never heard anything from anyone inside or outside the organization that suggested he was guy I needed to see. I remember being shocked when he started off the year in Frederick at 19-years old, but found out it was more about a need for a few weeks more than anything he done to make the organization think he was ready for that level.

At 24-years old, success in the Sally League really doesn't mean anything, but I certainly wish the young man well as he pursues his dreams.

Tony,  awhile back I posted that this is how Duquette ran the Red Sox and eventually ran himself out of town.  The entire minor league system was almost entirely in the dark.  You would have random people coming and going, players looking over their shoulders, players not given opportunities because the club has invested money into players who weren't as good. He made sure "his" guys were afforded all the opportunities to succeed.  That created animosity amongst organizational coaches, players and instructors.  I recall specifically sitting in an office with DeMarlo Hale in A ball on the phone with Duquette because he wanted to play the guy he drafted that year over me when I was on a 12 game hitting streak.  To keep it short, DeMarlo was not pleased with being forced to play players. He picks his favorites, there is no question about it.  Whether they deserve to be promoted or not, they will move through the organization.  I still talk to a lot of players from my time in the Red Sox organization and we still talk about how things were ran til this day. He brought a lot of guys with him from the Sox organization so I can't imagine the culture changed that much. There were a lot of issues with Qualls spying on players as well.

On 7/24/2018 at 5:16 AM, Enjoy Terror said:

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=e2f46cb6-ecf4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&gendersport=boys,baseball

Rennie was 102K/22BB in high school, which was probably what he was talking about.

High School?  Dang!  I had an .850 OBP in High School.  I got cut from the Millersville University tryout.  So should I blame my HS for ruining my career?  lol  What a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

High School?  ****!  I had an .850 OBP in High School.  I got cut from the Millersville University tryout.  So should I blame my HS for ruining my career?  lol  What a joke. 

Please do not use **** to avoid the word filter. Thank you.?‍✈️

Archived