John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

I think Jones wants to win and would accept a trade even though it would pain my to see him leave, I would be rooting for him in the postseason. And frankly, I would trade for him. He has the AJ factor:) Brings a winning attitude. Probably won't bring a ton, but might get you more thank you think. Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I think Jones wants to win and would accept a trade even though it would pain my to see him leave, I would be rooting for him in the postseason. And frankly, I would trade for him. He has the AJ factor:) Brings a winning attitude. Probably won't bring a ton, but might get you more thank you think. Just my 2 cents.

One thing I would never in a million years question about Adam Jones is his effort. He was the right guy for the Orioles at the right time... 10 years ago.

The organization sorely needed someone with a little swagger.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fair chance ownership puts him off limits, if they don't there is a decent chance he blocks the attempts.

Ownership could do that, sure.

AJ is NOT blocking anywhere that gets him where he will play for a winner and get respect.  The list of places worse than Baltimore right now is not very long.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Ownership could do that, sure.

AJ is NOT blocking anywhere that gets him where he will play for a winner and get respect.  The list of places worse than Baltimore right now is not very long.

Sorry but we don't know that.

Maybe he doesn't want to be away from his family for three months?  Maybe he wants whatever team that is trading for him to sign him to an extension?  Maybe he really doesn't want to go play in Seattle?

How about I accept the possibility he is open to be traded and you accept he might not be?

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Those are the teams that come to mind, especially LAA and Ariz.

Here are some trades involving non-superstar outfielders in recent years.  

Last year:

To KC:  Melky Cabrera;   to CWS:  AJ Puckett and Andre Davis

2016:

To Rangers:  Carlos Beltran;  to NYY Nick Green, Erick Swanson, Dillon Tate

To Braves:  Matt Kemp;  to Padres:  Hector Oliveras

To Blue Jays:  Melvin Upton Jr;  To Padres:  Hansel Rodriguez

2015:

To Blue Jays;  Ben Revere;  To Phillies:  Jimmy Cordero, Alberto Tirado

To Orioles:  Gerardo Parra;  To Brewers:  Zach Davies

To Cardinals:  Brandon Moss;  To Indians:  Rob Kaminsky

To Angels:  David Murphy;  To Indians:  Eric Stamets

To Angels:  Shane Victorino;  To Red Sox:  Josh Rutledge

All of these players, with the exception of maybe Kemp are MUCH worse than Jones. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

All of these players, with the exception of maybe Kemp are MUCH worse than Jones. 

I agree.   But Jones is also not quite on the level of Bruce & Cespedes, who got significantly bigger deals.

So you have to figure Jones can get more than almost all of the above deals, but not what Cespedes got (Fulmer +).

There was also a deal where the Dodgers got Josh Reddick AND Rich Hill, and gave up quite a haul tot he A's.

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The McCutchen trade seems like the best recent comparison...and the Pirates didn't get much for him. 

McCutchen trade is a pretty good comp I think but he still had a full year left of control when he was traded whereas AJ is a pretty short rental at this point.  Also, the high points of McCutchen's career were higher than Jones' (4 top 5 MVP vote getting seasons, one of which he won.)  So I think we'll get even less for Adam if we somehow were to make a decision (!) to trade him.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry but we don't know that.

Maybe he doesn't want to be away from his family for three months?  Maybe he wants whatever team that is trading for him to sign him to an extension?  Maybe he really doesn't want to go play in Seattle?

How about I accept the possibility he is open to be traded and you accept he might not be?

Agreed we do not know what AJ wants.  I most certainly accept the fact he has the right to say no.  And I am open to the possibility he is in fact willing to do so.  

As a 10/5 player, he can block a trade, but I would imagine he would welcome a trade to a contender.  If they don't at least try to move him, they're foolish.  If they don't move him and offer him a QO, they're even more foolish.

I'm hoping for a couple solid, but not blue chip prospects in return.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

As a 10/5 player, he can block a trade, but I would imagine he would welcome a trade to a contender.  If they don't at least try to move him, they're foolish.  If they don't move him and offer him a QO, they're even more foolish.

I'm hoping for a couple solid, but not blue chip prospects in return.

I don't think Jones alone brings back much. But, if you package Britton and Jones together - then, you might get something of value. Indians make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

One thing I would never in a million years question about Adam Jones is his effort. He was the right guy for the Orioles at the right time... 10 years ago.

The organization sorely needed someone with a little swagger.

Well said Sir!

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I think Jones probably has a bit more value than some think.  His leadership abilities are very real and that's something that will be attractive to teams in a race.  His bat definitely still has some hits in it.  His contract is just about up.  Would he be willing to be moved to be a COF?  Because I don't see him playing CF anywhere but here.

I think you could land maybe a B and C prospect for him.  You're not getting any studs, but maybe a few guys in teams' 8-20 prospect list.

I wonder if Cleveland would have an interest.    They have gotten a .584 OPS out of their CF’s so far this year.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Adam Jones has posted solid numbers thus far (.758 OPS), Yet, as an impending free agent, the soon-to-be 33-year old will be one of the key O's players that will garner plenty of trade speculation.

• What sort of return do you expect on whatever Jones trade is made?
  • Will he even be traded?... and... Would we offer him a Qualifying Offer, if he is not dealt?
  • What teams out there sem like a solid match for a trade?

I don't think he will be traded.

Archived