John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Indeed.  I just want to see Mullins bounce Jones in CF, Jones bounce Mancini in LF, and Mancini DH and spell Davis at 1B.  With Trumbo keeping RF warm for Yusniel Diaz.

Exactly, there is room for Mullins without having to send Jones all the way to the bench. Mullins could even play RF. Davis and Trumbo can sit.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Remember it’s an athlete and we have to treat them like they are special.

It’s up to Jones.  I don’t care one way or the other.  

This could be Jones last chance play in the playoffs,  You would think Jones would gladly welcome a trade. 

Maybe he likes it in Baltimore. Just wants to stay. No one knows the reason but AJ.

9 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

That is what he has always said.

He's  always said winning a ring in Baltimore was important. He's made what almost $100m in his career. Maybe a $30k ring in another city isn't that important. It's not like that's the topper of a HOF resume.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

ONCE AGAIN where have I said differently?

ONCE AGAIN where have I said Adam is in the wrong?

What is nonsense is that a 2-3 month period where one person will be working a couple hours away somehow constitutes a need to "uproot a family".  That is absolute silliness.  

Adam has every right to refuse to do it but it is a reality that plenty of people deal with on a daily basis.

Doesn’t matter one bit if other people have to deal with it. Adam doesn’t want to, apparently. We shouldn’t be roasting him for it. And trying to downplay the inconvenience by getting bent out of shape over using “uprooting his family”...for what?

I’m on Team Adam on this. 

5 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

That's fine for the people who choose to do that.  In this case, Adam Jones has earned the right to make a choice as well, and it looks like he's chosen not to be apart from his family over the next couple of months.

It sounds like you don't like the terminology "uproot his family".  Can we agree that he'd either be moving his family or living away from his family for a couple of months?  Because I'm pretty sure we can agree that the solution isn't for Adam Jones to drive up and down I-95 in the middle of the night for three months.

Elegantly put. Agree 100%.

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe he likes it in Baltimore. Just wants to stay. No one knows the reason but AJ.

Well yeah, Jones can do whatever he wants.  But moving to Philly for a couple months isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Not exactly on par with a marine being deployed, or having to relocate to the west coast for a work assignment.

3 minutes ago, Gofannon said:

That's fine for the people who choose to do that.  In this case, Adam Jones has earned the right to make a choice as well, and it looks like he's chosen not to be apart from his family over the next couple of months.

It sounds like you don't like the terminology "uproot his family".  Can we agree that he'd either be moving his family or living away from his family for a couple of months?  Because I'm pretty sure we can agree that the solution isn't for Adam Jones to drive up and down I-95 in the middle of the night for three months.

ONCE AGAIN I have never said otherwise.

You think?

I agree that he would be unlikely to commute.  Although if he did I don't think he'd be doing the driving very often.  I do think he would certainly have some time with the family during his time with the Phillies.

I can't believe people are griping about Adam Jones wanting to remain with the Orioles.  I also think the "clean house and just get rid of everyone" mentality doesn't acknowledge the reality of the casual fans that are still going out there.  And, on top of that, Adam Jones is different.  He's the best Oriole since Ripken and has represented this team, this city and this community proudly through some very tough times.  Duquette and the O's should be careful with how they handle this one over the weeks and months to come.

Adam has the control to do what he wants but part on me thinks this is simply a negotiating ploy.    Adam makes 17m per year.  He can afford a nice place in Philly if he wants it.  Rent a high class place for a few months.  He is only in town wherever he plays half the time.   If his wife does not want to make the 2 to 3 hour drive she can hire a driver, take the train or chart a plane.  

I think Adam and his agent may be asking for money to accept the trade.  He knows the O's will save 5 or 6m if he is traded.  He may want part of the that money.  

Duquette and the Angelos for their part do not want to give up money.  It could be a big game of chicken that runs right up to Tuesday at 4 pm

I am not saying that this is the case.  But part of me questions it.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Doesn’t matter one bit if other people have to deal with it. Adam doesn’t want to, apparently. We shouldn’t be roasting him for it. And trying to downplay the inconvenience by getting bent out of shape over using “uprooting his family”...for what?

I’m on Team Adam on this. 

I'm getting bent out of shape over your poor terminology because it belittles folks who do have to uproot their family or deal with real separation.

16 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Why isn’t it an issue again? My son started pre-K when he was 2. You don’t know their schooling situation. Neither do I. But I’d presume summer school, pre-K, family time, the fans are all important to him. 

Your kids aren’t exactly rooted in deep relationships with teachers or friends when they’re four.  Also, the season ends at the end of September, so leave them in if you really care that much.    

Again, I’m fine with whatever Jones wants to do.   But moving his kids isn’t much of an issue.   Besides, I believe I read that Jones spends the winter in San Diego.   Isn’t that uprooting the kids?

I’m actually really surprised to hear this. I would have thought Jone would be all over this idea...especially considering it’s for two months and a shot at linking up with a potential contender.

...he can always resign if he wants.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm getting bent out of shape over your poor terminology because it belittles folks who do have to uproot their family or deal with real separation.

It has already been stipulated and agreed upon that "uprooting" was the wrong word. Let's move on.

Archived