John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Sometimes it's more about nostalgia. I could care less about getting a current baseball players autograph. But I will be waiting in line to get Kane Bidder and Robert Englunds autograph because it brings back memories of being a kid watching those guys playing iconic slashers.

I'm also not nostalgic...novelty >>> nostalgia 10 times out of 10. 

Maybe I'm a robot

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

A competitor wants to maximize his time for playing for a really bad team as opposed to attempting to win a championship? Sorry I don't get that. Folks do know that his official residence is still in San Diego, CA right?

Adam Jones is not a competitor? Stop it, just stop it. You are embarrassing yourself. Think before you type. 

200w.gif

14 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

A competitor wants to maximize his time for playing for a really bad team as opposed to attempting to win a championship? Sorry I don't get that. Folks do know that his official residence is still in San Diego, CA right?

By that logic you should just become a Red Sox fan.  

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Adam Jones is not a competitor? Stop it, just stop it. You are embarrassing yourself. Think before you type.  

200w.gif

Okay so why doesn't he want to go and be in a pennant race? Please no stories of disrupting his family for a whopping two months

I am not a big autograph person, it is just cool to share a few seconds of face time with the players. I was surprised at how many players were wearing the giveaway shirt from Thursday (with the throwback Orioles logo). Most everyone was really friendly, Mancini was a trooper signing all of the bobbleheads that were the giveaway yesterday. I shared a laugh with Paul Fry when a pre-teen girl handed him a new official MLB ball and asked him to sign it. He asked whether she had any preference where he signed it and after she left, I joked that she probably wasn't going to leap across the table if he had signed it on the sweet spot.

There are a handful of people that bring a whole bunch of merchandise in that they will presumably sell, but it is mostly just families and fans that attend a lot of games to see a losing team. I would have loved the opportunity to attend such an event when I was a kid, it is a really cool event. 

Does anyone remember when at that fan Q&A someone asked Adam what his favorite thing to do in Baltimore was and he said "going to the airport to fly home"?  I know he's earned the right to veto a trade but he hasn't earned the right to stay in a position that he's clearly terrible at now. His comments the other day suggested he wouldn't move off center for Mullins and if that's the case I'll lose a little respect for him and Buck. Everything surrounding this trade talk seems inconsequential because i doubt he would've gotten much back anyway. 

It’s fine for the FO to want to trade him.

It’s fine for him to exercise his 10-5 rights.

It’s fine for DD to want to get younger after the season.

It’s fine for AJ to want an extension or to be re-signed.

No need to be mad at anyone here.

Edit: Regarding staying in CF, it isn’t his decision.

Does Jones have this right? Absolutely.  Am I disappointed that he is exercising said right? Yup I am.  His time here is over,  and at the end of the day I'd like us to get something for him,  no matter how marginal, versus him clogging up centerfield and taking experience and at bats from someone who may be part of our future.  I'm an Orioles fan way before i'm a Jones,  Markakis, or Machado fan, and I want what is best for the team and organization.  Most will disagree with this,  but I've lost a little respect for Jones if this ends up playing out as it appears.  Its his right,  sure.  But it's not a good decision for the orioles.   

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Edit: Regarding staying in CF, it isn’t his decision.

I am glad someone points this out.  You right his name in the lineup and tell him to go to RF or LF.  Sure you give him the respect and take him in the office and let hom know beforehand but it is not his choice.

27 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

The moment and a little anticipation of the future.  

Memorabilia and nostalgia do nothing for me.  

For some, that "moment" for them is getting an autograph from a ballplayer or a childhood hero. Or taking their kid to meet a ballplayer like their dad did with them. The "moment" and "nostalgia" can go hand in hand.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm not sure how you don't lose respect for an athlete who would rather stick with a 115 loss team than take a two month shot at a championship.

Either way he is a free agent in the offseason and has plenty of time to find the right contract/team for himself and his family.

News flash to posters across America. An accomplished athlete that you are spending YOUR time talking about that doesn't know you or think about you, doesn't care that you "lost respect" for him. 

For some reason, people think they care, but they don't...

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

For some, that "moment" for them is getting an autograph from a ballplayer or a childhood hero. Or taking their kid to meet a ballplayer like their dad did with them. The "moment" and "nostalgia" can go hand in hand.

I mean, I get that, it just seems weird to me...someone writes their name in cursive is something to feel good about, just seems odd...

I'm happy to admit (and have admitted in this thread) that I'm the odd one here...

Archived