As we dismantle, the thing that worries me

brianod

The same guy that has lost every trade he's ever made is still in charge.  We should have let him go to Toronto and I believe the reason we didn't is the same reason we haven't won anything since 83.  The ego of our owner(s).  They don't have the money to back up the arrogance. So, we denied a persons request to go elsewhere and now we put him in charge of rebuilding.  Splendid.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, brianod said:

The same guy that has lost every trade he's ever made is still in charge.  We should have let him go to Toronto and I believe the reason we didn't is the same reason we haven't won anything since 83.  The ego of our owner(s).  They don't have the money to back up the arrogance. So, we denied a persons request to go elsewhere and now we put him in charge of rebuilding.  Splendid.

He hasn't been calling the shots for a few years. It's also much, much harder for him to do what he wants when his arm was pinned behind his back the whole time until now.

DD was a very highly viewed mind and still is. I have full faith in him to do the job if he is given the reigns which it looks like he was.

30 minutes ago, brianod said:

The same guy that has lost every trade he's ever made is still in charge.  

You ever hear of Pedro Martinez, DD traded for him twice.  Guess he lost both those trades huh? 

Upon edit I see I’m not the first person to point out how dumb the original post was...

Ummm.....no.  That's just not even close to being true.

February 6, 2012

Traded Jeremy Guthrie to the Colorado Rockies. Received Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom.

August 26, 2012

Traded Matt Lindstrom and cash to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Received Joe Saunders and cash.

November 25, 2013

Traded Devin Jones (minors) to the San Diego Padres. Received Brad Brach.

July 31, 2014

Traded Eduardo Rodriguez to the Boston Red Sox. Received Andrew Miller.

August 30, 2014

Traded Mark Blackmar (minors) and Miguel Chalas (minors) to the Chicago White Sox. Received Alejandro De Aza.

December 2, 2015

February 21, 2017

Traded player to be named or cash to the New York Yankees. Received Richard Bleier.

April 7, 2017

Traded a player to be named later to the Colorado Rockies. Received Miguel Castro. The Baltimore Orioles sent Jon Keller (minors) (September 7, 2017) to the Colorado Rockies to complete the trade.

April 14, 2017

Traded international bonus slot money to the Seattle Mariners. Received Paul Fry.

July 18, 2018

Traded Manny Machado to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Rylan Bannon (minors), Yusniel Diaz (minors), Dean Kremer (minors), Zach Pop (minors) and Breyvic Valera.

I am not sure DD deserves to be in charge of this re-build either.  I think he has been pretty bad as a GM here with loads of poor trades and signings that more than offset his good moves.  I understand there was the influence and interference of PA and that really can't be overstated, but I doubt very strongly that PA played a major role in many poor moves - Travis Snider, signing BMat and then dealing him away with a draft pick a couple months later, dealing away another reliever with a draft pick, trading Davies, signing Ubaldo, signing Gallardo, etc, etc.  And even if PA said to go out and get some of these guys, the organizational depth was absolutely terrible.

Anyway, I do think DD is the right guy to expand our international operations and I also believe he has put in the best combination of prospect draft and development combination that the Os have had in a long time - at least 20-25 years - and I am not eager to see a new GM come in and replace those guys. 

It is going to be a couple long years and as long as we are fully committed to developing a deep farm system including a quality international operation, I can get aboard that train if DD is in charge.

Archived