Could Schoop be the O's 3B of the future?

wildcard

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I feel your pain. Yes. They should all stay. No. Free agents are not good. Extensions rarely are. I liked the old way too. When they had to stay unless the team traded them. It was neat and easy. 

Adam Jones was signed at age 27 to a 6/85m contract.   Its has been pretty good for the O's.   When the O's can sign a young established player to a reasonable contract through age 31 then it probably is a decent deal.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adam Jones was signed at age 27 to a 6/85m contract.   Its has been pretty good for the O's.   When the O's can sign a young established player to a reasonable contract through age 31 then it probably is a decent deal.

I think it was a great contract at a time the the Orioles needed a leader.  Great contract. 

Just now, weams said:

I think it was a great contract at a time the the Orioles needed a leader.  Great contract. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Let me ask this. Do you think Schoop signs a six 85 contract right now? 

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I agree with this. Dude can hit, but not much with the glove. I think Schoop is traded now or off season. Next year we put Wilkerson at 3B, sign Iglesias as short, put Mancini at 1B. Make defense best we can and that will make our pitchers better so we can trade them--Cashner, O'Day, Cobb . . . etc

Yup that'll fool these dang it MLB front offices that invest millions of dollars in analytics they would never be able to attribute the improved performance to better defense!!

1 minute ago, weams said:

Let me ask this. Do you think Schoop signs a six 85 contract right now? 

i have no idea what Schoop would sign.   He is coming off a bad season.   I think he likes playing in Baltimore.    Who his manager will be may play into the equation.

Just now, wildcard said:

i have no idea what Schoop would sign.   He is coming off a bad season.   I think he likes playing in Baltimore.    Who his manager will be may play into the equation.

Will it all be bad? Will he hit 30 homers? 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Would he like playing with Manny again? 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Would he like playing with Manny again? 

If he was offered the extension this off season then he would not be a free agent yet.  He would have to make the decision.   Where is Manny going to play in 2019?

Just now, wildcard said:

If he was offered the extension this off season then he would not be a free agent yet.  He would have to make the decision.   Where is Manny going to play in 2019?

Exactly. He'll wait. 

Trade him before he hits free agency. When we are ready to contend again, sign a free agent infielder if we need one. There is no reason to pay Schoop a premium price and hope he has value for us down the road. There will be other players who can play 3B in two or three years.

Also, Schoop signed that deal years ago that obligates him to give up part of his future earnings. Of all players headed to free agency, he is one who really needs a big contract. Makes no sense for him to give anyone a team-friendly deal. 

Archived