Could Schoop be the O's 3B of the future?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Trade him before he hits free agency. When we are ready to contend again, sign a free agent infielder if we need one. There is no reason to pay Schoop a premium price and hope he has value for us down the road. There will be other players who can play 3B in two or three years.

Exactly. Let it burn. And rise again. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Also, Schoop signed that deal years ago that obligates him to give up part of his future earnings. Of all players headed to free agency, he is one who really needs a big contract. Makes no sense for him to give anyone a team-friendly deal. 

Please explain how the contract he signed affect any long term contract he would sign.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Please explain how the contract he signed affect any long term contract he would sign.

In 2016, Schoop sold 10% of all future earnings to a company called Fantex for $4.91 million. Whatever the value of his contract (current and future), he only gets 90% of the money.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

In 2016, Schoop sold 10% of all future earnings to a company called Fantex for $4.91 million. Whatever the value of his contract (current and future), he only gets 90% of the money.

I remember reading that on here. I wonder how often that happens. Seems like it could be a low risk investment in yourself if you’re not sure of your future. 

Just now, murph said:

I remember reading that on here. I wonder how often that happens. Seems like it could be a low risk investment in yourself if you’re not sure of your future. 

Not that many deals were signed.  If I remember correctly they are not taking on new accounts at this time.

42 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

So how will the affect the long term agreement he signs?   He gets 90%.  Does it change the way he looks at a long term deal?  Does Fantex have a says in which long term deal he signs.   Will they allow him to turn down a deal that gives them a return on their investment this off season?

54 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Trade him before he hits free agency. When we are ready to contend again, sign a free agent infielder if we need one. There is no reason to pay Schoop a premium price and hope he has value for us down the road. There will be other players who can play 3B in two or three years.

Agreed.  Very much agreed.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So how will the affect the long term agreement he signs?   He gets 90%.  Does it change the way he looks at a long term deal?

There is an agent to pay as well. And taxes. Some states are better than others. 

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So how will the affect the long term agreement he signs?   He gets 90%.  Does it change the way he looks at a long term deal?  Does Fantex have a says in which long term deal he signs.   Will they allow him to turn down a deal that gives them a return on their investment this off season?

How would it affect you if you realized you'd done something that cost you millions of dollars? Would that make you want to give the O's a team-friendly deal, or would it make you want to be sure you got as much as possible?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Meaning that is what Manny said when asked about an extension.

Like somehow he didn't have the power to decide where he played as a free agent.

Jonathan is not Manny.   Manny is going to get something in the 300m range plus or minus.   Manny agent had talks  with he O's.  Manny knew the O's were not go to be competitive at that level.  Jonathan is not at that level.  He should be in an affordable range for the O's.   Probably under 100m.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jonathan is not Manny.   Manny is going to get something in the 300m range plus or minus.   Manny agent had talks  with he O's.  Manny knew the O's were not go to be competitive at that level.  Jonathan is not at that level.  He should be in an affordable range for the O's.   Probably under 100m.

And a last place team signing a player to a contract worth nearly $100 million because he might help them a few years down the road is a good idea? I don't think so.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What for? The team is not near contention. If they were a year or two away then yes but I think they are further out. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

What for? The team is not near contention. If they were a year or two away then yes but I think they are further out. 

Well, if the O's trade Schoop, Bundy, Gausman and Givens then you are probably right.  It will take 5 years.   But if they keep those players it may be the 3 year plan works.

Archived