Schoop, AL player of the month?

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

He was 0fer before the walkoff. I know because I picked him in Beat the Streak and I was looking at my streak resetting to zero until Kimbrel blew the save in the top of the 9th, Rodney blew the save in the bottom of the 9th, and Betts got another AB in the 10th.

Lucky!

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Betts has an excellent chance to beat Trout.    But I’ll worry about that when the season's over.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see how the final four games of the month go.    That can move the needle a lot when you’re talking about a month’s worth of statistics.    But all things being equal, I agree the award will go to a player on a team that’s winning.  

He certainly has a chance. But I fail to see how the ‘winning team’ argument has ever been a good determination for who wins the award. The Angels aren’t very good, but without Trout I suspect they’re awful. Betts has many more good players (Martinez, Bogaerts, etc.) around him to pick up the slack.

But any of that is subjective, which is why I prefer just the numbers. Betts leads Trout in is OPS (1.096 to 1.081) Trout leads in both categories of WAR (rWAR 7.7 to 6.5 and fWAR 7.3 to 6.4), and they’re almost deadlocked in wOBA and wRC+ (Trout .445 and 191, Betts .454 and 190). Trout has a 197 OPS+ compared to Betts 188.

Two very special players.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:02 PM, Moose Milligan said:

His numbers for the month to-date are .369/.365/.702 1.067 OPS with 7 Home Runs and 13 RBI's, not including tonight's game.

Who else could make a claim ???

o

(FOUR DAYS LATER)

Now that he has been traded, Schoop getting the award would be a nice parting gift for both parties (Schoop as an individual, and the Orioles as a team.)

o

Archived