Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's a dangerous game to play. They're definitely running the risk of ruining some great team chemistry. In hindsight, the Astros should have probably called the Nationals about Herrera, since they're apparently selling now. 

I read that the Nationals are asking for much more for Herrera than they paid for him a month ago.  They're in dreamland.  He won't be traded unless they wake up and smell the coffee.

19 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'll take that bet... I don't think it helps his value any that he declined a pennant race so he could play CF for a 115 loss team.

Good teams don't need his performance levels, bad teams won't spend money on a replacement level player.

He passed on a great opportunity, I feel bad for him.

I am sure you really feel bad for him.   He gets paid the same whether he goes or stays.   He will make more next season than you do in your lifetime so I think he will be all right 

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I read that the Nationals are asking for much more for Herrera than they paid for him a month ago.  They're in dreamland.  He won't be traded unless they wake up and smell the coffee.

Word is ownership wants to sell and the GM doesn't so he's asking for unrealistic returns.

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s not impossible that Jones has a change of heart in August, I doubt it but not impossible. The Indians could claim him and maybe a month down the road he changes his mind.  

I don't think it can be sat on for a month.  Pretty sure that if he's claimed on revocable waivers, there is a time limit (I'm thinking either 7 or 10 days) for the Orioles to either trade him to the claiming team or pull him back from waivers.  After the time is up, the player goes to the claiming team normally, but I don't know if we got a definitive answer whether AJ's 10 and 5 rights can be applied to a revocable waiver claim.

6 hours ago, Hallas said:

At first, I thought Gausman would be nice to trade, but thinking about it more, if we give him another season to figure it out, and he catches fire, we'd get a king's ransom next trade deadline (assuming we're out of it next year too.)  Even if we trade him next year the buying team would get him for an extra year, so we'd still get a nice haul for him.

If we're not competing next season, I have to assume that Schoop is as good as gone at the deadline next year.  Pretty surprised he didn't get shopped harder this year, to be honest.

I would have to think that they'll  probably look to deal him in the offseason.

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

For what they gave up, I feel like the Astros could have probably made a play for Iglesias. Even Familia would have been a significant enough / drama free upgrade for them. 

19 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't think it can be sat on for a month.  Pretty sure that if he's claimed on revocable waivers, there is a time limit (I'm thinking either 7 or 10 days) for the Orioles to either trade him to the claiming team or pull him back from waivers.  After the time is up, the player goes to the claiming team normally, but I don't know if we got a definitive answer whether AJ's 10 and 5 rights can be applied to a revocable waiver claim.

They can wait to put him on waivers. Plenty of August 31 deals are made. 10 and 5 rights apply and if a player goes unclaimed after 2 days he has passed waivers. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/140073380-guide-to-baseballs-waiver-trade-system.amp.html

Archived