Duquette Communication

Dipper9

30 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Don't like how he handled the whole Jones thing.

Find it totally ridiculous we didn't explore extensions with Manny and Schoop. Now, it's likely Manny would've never extended with us but you had years to likely lock up Schoop for probably not a ton of money (he sold off 10% of future earnings so seems likely he'd be open to financial security. He also has brought up us not exploring extension with him).

Eh, the thing is we did explore extensions with Manny. There was an entire thread about it 4-5 weeks back. Obviously it went nowhere, but I'm not buying this idea that DD is too dumb to ask. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Eh, the thing is we did explore extensions with Manny. There was an entire thread about it 4-5 weeks back. Obviously it went nowhere, but I'm not buying this idea that DD is too dumb to ask. 

DD is definitely not dumb..and he is also also quite clever enough to have his spin out there that he really, really tried and, well, it was just not possible you know.   Leaving the unspoken blame directly on ownership and/or the “greedy” Manny.   Of course, don’t leak out any of the actual  details because they would be easily seen as a token effort,  but put just enough out there to mute fan criticism about not even trying.    Dan learned a thing or too from his time in Boston about the importance of getting your own messaging out to fan bases. and what happens to you if you don’t. 

53 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Why would you waste your time banging out a deal(s) for a player that isn't going to waive his no trade when you have a half dozen other players who could be moved? Why would you now open up Jones to more scrutiny when a simple verification beforehand would have caused you to not bother hammering out a trade.

It was reported that the deal for O'Day was agreed upon before he was asked about his 10/5.  When he was told it was Atlanta, he consulted with his wife and agreed to waive.

59 minutes ago, Finisher said:

It doesn't seem like DD ascertained whether Jones would be open to a trade. It seems like DD negotiated a trade with Philly and AFTER THE FACT determined Jones was, in fact, not going to waive his no trade.

Why would you waste your time banging out a deal(s) for a player that isn't going to waive his no trade when you have a half dozen other players who could be moved? Why would you now open up Jones to more scrutiny when a simple verification beforehand would have caused you to not bother hammering out a trade.

Maybe they judged it more likely that Adam would approve if he were presented with a fait accompli? There are many possibilities, without more serious reporting it’s hard to gauge the situation from the outside.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

DD is definitely not dumb..and he is also also quite clever enough to have his spin out there that he really, really tried and, well, it was just not possible you know.   Leaving the unspoken blame directly on ownership and/or the “greedy” Manny.   Of course, don’t leak out any of the actual  details because they would be easily seen as a token effort,  but put just enough out there to mute fan criticism about not even trying.    Dan learned a thing or too from his time in Boston about the importance of getting your own messaging out to fan bases. and what happens to you if you don’t. 

Messaging is a two-way street.  Or three-way.  Or six-way. Or ten-way...

Thank God agents and players haven't caught on yet.

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

It doesn't seem like DD ascertained whether Jones would be open to a trade. It seems like DD negotiated a trade with Philly and AFTER THE FACT determined Jones was, in fact, not going to waive his no trade.

Two ways to look at this:

Ask Jones what team he would be willing to go to and then work out a deal

Work out something you like and then ask if he is willing to go to that team.  

Either way, DD is working at a disadvantage because the other team knows that Jones holds the cards. If Jones had come out and said I want to play for a trophy instead of I hold the cards, then DD would have been working at a position of strength. 

Jones is the only one you can blame for not getting traded. 

I don’t have a problem with how Jones was handled. I would have asked and then negotiated but either way makes sense. 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:30 PM, sevastras said:

Either way, DD is working at a disadvantage because the other team knows that Jones holds the cards. If Jones had come out and said I want to play for a trophy instead of I hold the cards, then DD would have been working at a position of strength. 

I don’t have a problem with how Jones was handled. I would have asked and then negotiated but either way makes sense. 

I think Adam's willingness to go to another team was, and is, influenced, by what they say about how they plan to use him. That's why I think he's likely to go only as a replacement for a contender's corner OF that has no good replacement for a corner OF who gets hurt.

If that's the case, it would make it difficult to clear things with Adam in advance. He would want to hear directly from the other team what his intended role would be before agreeing.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, Chavez Ravine said:

You guys asked girls to the prom? I was in my room playing Strat-O-Matic.

I asked a girl to the prom the day before because one of her friends told me to do it.    I called a friend to ask for his advice about whether to do it, and by the time I got to school it seemed like half the senior class knew about it.   

On 8/1/2018 at 11:30 PM, sevastras said:

Hard to imagine that any player who is going to be a free agent would accept a trade from a situation where he's playing everyday to go to a team that plans on using him as a 4th outfielder. Whatever free agent value Adam might have this post-season, going to Philly and riding the pine would have killed it.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, Dipper9 said:

We’ve heard from several ex Orioles that say Duquette and the Orioles never reached out to them when they became free agents, or guys like Schoop and Machado who say there was never any communication or serious attempts to offer them extensions while they were here and younger.  For the longest time I thought this was just bitterness from ex Orioles players, but when so many say the same thing, it leads me to believe there is truth behind it.  

Even with the rebuild and the young talent Duquette has brought in, we need a leader who openly communicates with the players or their agents on matters like this. 

What say you? 

Was someone directing DD then? I don't know but this comes down second hand. We don't know what went down. As for me  I will stick with the new improved DD. Seems like John has  taken off the shackles that Peter had on DD. With them getting into the international market I will have to give DD the benefit of doubt. 

Archived