If...when...Machado signs w/NYY

FastEddie

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The guys who were the core of the 2012-16 teams will always have a place in my heart.    But I agree, it doesn’t really matter where they play now, particularly while we’re noncompetitive.    Time to focus on the younger guys who hopefully can be part of the next winning core.     

Or even guys we don't even know we love yet. We will when they go into Texas and strike out the sluggers and beat Yu Darvish at his prime. Until they clear the bases with a significant double. Or matchup and beat three CY Young winners. 

If he signs with the MFYs, I will be obligated to boo him every time he appears (this is my general rule for former Orioles playing for the MFYs...see Paul Blair, Elrod Hendricks, Reggie Jackson, Don Baylor, Mike Mussina, (special exemption for Tex- he was not an Oriole, but still) and now Manny.  Nothing personal but if you are a MFY, you are a MFY.  

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

If he signs with the MFYs, I will be obligated to boo him every time he appears (this is my general rule for former Orioles playing for the MFYs...see Paul Blair, Elrod Hendricks, Reggie Jackson, Don Baylor, Mike Mussina, (special exemption for Tex- he was not an Oriole, but still) and now Manny.  Nothing personal but if you are a MFY, you are a MFY.  

How did Roberts escape your scorn?

Does this even apply to folks like Pearce who played for the whole AL East at one point?

3 hours ago, FastEddie said:

Report came out today mentioning MM would like to sign with the Yankees.

Looking for a general concensus of feelys on the situation and outcome.

Personally, I think I would be pretty bitter. Pretty damaging to his orioles career/history.

This is more Heyman stirring the pot with speculation.  It is all he does.  For months, it was when and where ManNY will be traded.  All of four weeks after a trade, he's talking offseason.  NY may not win the division so let's get their fanbase all riled up for 2019.  ManNY and Harper, as if the Yankers are the Simpsons softball team with a 10 man lineup.

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I think the Yankees are going to go crazy this off-season. They've been waiting to get under the luxury tax threshold to reset their penalties. I see them going all in.

They'll try and add to the rotation. That's a given. They only have Severino and Tanaka for next year. Sure, Sheffield, German, Adams, Loaisiga, etc...but I cannot see them giving more than one spot to a young gun like that. As such, I think they add two starters. Once they're done with that, however, I can see them going for one more big piece. I think they go get either Kershaw, Keuchel or Corbin (probably in that order) and then either retain Sabathia or Happ or look at Morton, Gio Gonzalez or someone like that.

Really, the Yankees are only limited by the amount they're willing to spend. After the SP, where else will they go? It won't be the OF with Judge, Stanton, Frazier, Hicks, Gardner. It could be first base, but Andujar is terrible at 3B and could shift to 1B. I could easily see Manny fitting in and I could see New York being the one spot he slides back to 3B to play (though, they could slide Gregorius there, but the better option would be Manny if he'd do it). Of course, just thinking about it makes me want to vomit (more for how incredibly ridiculous that lineup would be than anything else).

Ideally, they'd go for a natural first baseman, but the options are limited. They could also put Sanchez there since his defense behind the dish is so bad, but Manny and moving Andjuar is a more Yankee move than signing Yasmani Grandal or Wilson Ramos.

This is the way I see it. Andujar at third base looks to me like a future first baseman or outfielder. 

I heard some discussion today on NY sports talk radio about the NYYs picking up Jose Bautista to play first base for the rest of the season. Now there’s a match!

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The guys who were the core of the 2012-16 teams will always have a place in my heart.    But I agree, it doesn’t really matter where they play now, particularly while we’re noncompetitive.    Time to focus on the younger guys who hopefully can be part of the next winning core.     

Yeah I will eternally love Steve Pearce and he's played for every team in the division now. I'll always like Manny no matter where he goes. Besides, if you were a free agent wouldn't you want to have the Yankees AND Dodgers after you to drive up the price?

Manny hasn't been that great since he joined the Dodgers.  He might not get the contract or the team he wants unless he kicks it up a notch.  There's a decent chance the Dodgers don't even make the playoffs -- which might work to his benefit since he's cooled off since the trade.  But it makes sense for him wanting to play for the Yankees purely from a hitter's pov.  Most hitters would rather play in Yankee Stadium half the year over Dodger Stadium.  YS is more of a hitter's park than even Camden, while DS is mainly a pitcher's park.

41 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

To those who say they don’t care where he ends up — horse poop. You most certainly do care. I would absolutely hate to see him in pinstripes and I know you would to. It’s okay to admit that. It’s part of being a fan. 

I care just as much about where Machado ends up as I do any impact free agent.

No more.

46 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

To those who say they don’t care where he ends up — horse poop. You most certainly do care. I would absolutely hate to see him in pinstripes and I know you would to. It’s okay to admit that. It’s part of being a fan. 

I agree. It’s okay to admit it’ll suck watching Manny club us while wearing pinstripes ~20 times a year. No one will take your Bill James Fan Club card.

5 hours ago, weams said:

I'm really not concerned until we have a good TEAM again. 

I have to be honest - I would prefer he not sign with the Yankees.  Because I don't want to have to deal with the "Yankee Juggernaut"  phenomenon of 2019.  But even if they don't sign Machado, it's going to be there.  I'll just have to deal with it.  Yanks and Sawx, Yanks and Sawx, more often than not.

Archived