If...when...Machado signs w/NYY

FastEddie

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, FastEddie said:

Report came out today mentioning MM would like to sign with the Yankees.

Looking for a general concensus of feelys on the situation and outcome.

Personally, I think I would be pretty bitter. Pretty damaging to his orioles career/history.

Who?

Seriously, he isn't signing here.  I hope he signs in LA but if he signs in NY he does.  Yes it will ultimately hurt him here, but only because his talent will be rubbed in out faces more.  I get the feeling of betrayal, but thats on you/us not him.  You ever take a job at a better company for more money?

Still....hoping for anywhere but there.

6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Manny can want whatever he wants. Do the Yankees want or even need Manny? They need SP, and that's where the Yankees probably spend. 

I think the Yankees are going to go crazy this off-season. They've been waiting to get under the luxury tax threshold to reset their penalties. I see them going all in.

They'll try and add to the rotation. That's a given. They only have Severino and Tanaka for next year. Sure, Sheffield, German, Adams, Loaisiga, etc...but I cannot see them giving more than one spot to a young gun like that. As such, I think they add two starters. Once they're done with that, however, I can see them going for one more big piece. I think they go get either Kershaw, Keuchel or Corbin (probably in that order) and then either retain Sabathia or Happ or look at Morton, Gio Gonzalez or someone like that.

Really, the Yankees are only limited by the amount they're willing to spend. After the SP, where else will they go? It won't be the OF with Judge, Stanton, Frazier, Hicks, Gardner. It could be first base, but Andujar is terrible at 3B and could shift to 1B. I could easily see Manny fitting in and I could see New York being the one spot he slides back to 3B to play (though, they could slide Gregorius there, but the better option would be Manny if he'd do it). Of course, just thinking about it makes me want to vomit (more for how incredibly ridiculous that lineup would be than anything else).

Ideally, they'd go for a natural first baseman, but the options are limited. They could also put Sanchez there since his defense behind the dish is so bad, but Manny and moving Andjuar is a more Yankee move than signing Yasmani Grandal or Wilson Ramos.

Manny can play wherever he wants and it wouldn’t affect my opinion of him one bit.    That said, I’ll be disappointed if it’s NY because I’d rather not have him playing against us all the time and reminding us of what we’re missing.   

He might like it there, but given NYY's hitting/pitching mix, the situation seems ripe for a replay of the Mussina/Manny Ramirez offseason where they went pitcher, especially if Stanton doesn't opt out.

And if Stanton does, that's probably more music to Harper's ears than Machado's.

I'd also have to imagine the Yankees will be heavily interested in making Chris Sale the new Jacoby Ellsbury another year hence.  They already have $87M for 2020 committed to just Stanton, Ellsbury, Tanaka and Chapman; Machado and Sale both would get them past $150M for the top 6 guys as Judge and Sanchez enter Arb, and Severino gets to Arb2.

8 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

He might like it there, but given NYY's hitting/pitching mix, the situation seems ripe for a replay of the Mussina/Manny Ramirez offseason where they went pitcher, especially if Stanton doesn't opt out.

And if Stanton does, that's probably more music to Harper's ears than Machado's.

I'd also have to imagine the Yankees will be heavily interested in making Chris Sale the new Jacoby Ellsbury another year hence.  They already have $87M for 2020 committed to just Stanton, Ellsbury, Tanaka and Chapman; Machado and Sale both would get them past $150M for the top 6 guys as Judge and Sanchez enter Arb, and Severino gets to Arb2.

No way Stanton opts out. Yankees are going to be spending on starting pitching.

1 hour ago, FastEddie said:

Report came out today mentioning MM would like to sign with the Yankees.

Looking for a general concensus of feelys on the situation and outcome.

Personally, I think I would be pretty bitter. Pretty damaging to his orioles career/history.

I don't give a rats ass where MM signs. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Manny can play wherever he wants and it wouldn’t affect my opinion of him one bit.    That said, I’ll be disappointed if it’s NY because I’d rather not have him playing against us all the time and reminding us of what we’re missing.   

I'm ok with all of this. 

Just now, weams said:

I'm really not concerned until we have a good TEAM again. 

The guys who were the core of the 2012-16 teams will always have a place in my heart.    But I agree, it doesn’t really matter where they play now, particularly while we’re noncompetitive.    Time to focus on the younger guys who hopefully can be part of the next winning core.     

Archived