Predict the 25-Man Roster for Opening Day (2019)

Greg Pappas

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I think after the trade deadline we see an outfield of Diaz, Mullins, Hays and Mancini moves to 1B/DH...

To follow this theme.  I'm much more interested about what the roster will like like in August than I am April.  By then, some or all of Hays, Diaz, McKenna, Mountcastle, Sisco, Akin, Kremer, Tate, Ortiz, etc. could be in Baltimore.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I really think they need to get rid of Davis.  The money is lost either way.  Don't let that disaster be part of going forward.  Young kids and a new manager deserve that much.

If his attitude improves. If he comes to the coaches willing to work and do whatever to get better. If he is willing to accept a bench role. I know that's a lot of ifs. If he is willing to do those things, I bring him to Spring Training with the plan of Mancini and 1B and he and Trumbo splitting some DH duties, if he continues to do all of the things mentioned above.

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Treat Davis like a Rule 5 guy. If he doesn't show anything positive by the end of May, cut him loose. A rebuilding team can't afford to waste a roster spot on a guy who doesn't compete.

As long as there is no great young 1B prospect he's blocking you have to keep him until he decides to quit.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

As long as there is no great young 1B prospect he's blocking you have to keep him until he decides to quit.

They will probably go with 13 pitchers next season, which leaves only a 3-man bench. If he is unproductive and blocking anyone, regardless of position, you have to get rid of him. 

21 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Why? Mancini at 1st. Frees up left field for Stewart/prospects.

You can't eat 104 M. At least give him another year to be a situational player off the bench. I think if this continues he'll throw in the towel.. He doesn't block Mancini or Stewart.

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

But that is the point El Gordo, while we have no great 1b prospect who is being blocked. Playing Davis, moves Mancini who does block someone in lf/rf. Of course Trumbo does as well. 

If im new manager or GM, I’m advocating eating both. They may well be able to move Trumbo but neither of these guys are going to advance Oriole baseball and the sooner they move on, the better off they will be. 

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

But that is the point El Gordo, while we have no great 1b prospect who is being blocked. Playing Davis, moves Mancini who does block someone in lf/rf. Of course Trumbo does as well. 

If im new manager or GM, I’m advocating eating both. They may well be able to move Trumbo but neither of these guys are going to advance Oriole baseball and the sooner they move on, the better off they will be. 

Is Mancini being blocked now? CD can be a situational bench guy until somebody really needs his spot, or he retires. Name a team that ate 104 M?

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Is Mancini being blocked now? CD can be a situational bench guy until somebody really needs his spot, or he retires. Name a team that ate 104 M?

I agree. As soon as we start playing him like a situational bench guy the person he is blocking is another situational bench guy. You might as well save the cost of the replacement salary for that guy. Unless, of course, you are a rule 5 guy/AAAA hoarder or you are suddenly presented with a reason to care about the production of the situational bench guy.

Archived