Dan Connolly - Four Primary Scenarios for Buck & Dan’s Future

TonySoprano

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Makes sense.

What person in any job, wants to come back in a reduced role, anywhere, I dont care if you are flipping burgers at the golden arches, you dont want to go back to trash detail.

I think the main takeaway is that Brady is here to stay for the forceable future, regardless of who they may bring in from the outside. If true, then conditions like that will ensure that the most highly qualified candidates will not take the Baltimore job. We've seen this happen with the GM/VP position and the manager position before. It sounds like the Angelos boys are going to follow in their father's footsteps and not let a GM/VP have the typical level of control/authority. I hope that Roch is wrong, but...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think the main takeaway is that Brady is here to stay for the forceable future, regardless of who they may bring in from the outside. If true, then conditions like that will ensure that the most highly qualified candidates will not take the Baltimore job. We've seen this happen with the GM/VP position and the manager position before. It sounds like the Angelos boys are going to follow in their father's footsteps and not let a GM/VP have the typical level of control/authority. I hope that Roch is wrong, but...

I think Anderson should just run everything, soup to nuts, from offseason player workouts to payroll control and distribution. No title, just free reign.

?

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

My takeaway is that Brady wants to stay, good for him, either he is desperate to stay in MLB, or he doesn't feel like the front office,, is the cancer that some poster feel it is.

I think Brady being inside the front office since 2013, means he isn't brand new to things.

No, this does not mean, that I think he would make the best GM candidate.

I also think it might not be the worse than that can happen to this organization. Syd Thrift was in charge, and wasn't healthy enough to remember whom was on the roster, so to say Brady would be worse than that. I can't do that.

What was Flanny's resume before being handed the VP job?

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

But seriously, they have probably been "grooming" him to take over. 

When I run a department, I am always grooming a replacement. I want somebody to handle things, while I am on vacation or out sick.

You also never know about future promotions, and you dont want to leave chaos behind you.

What GM would want to work in an organization where he'd have his decisions scrutinized by Brady Anderson?  I realize that there are only 32 of these jobs, but one would just have to take a look at the history of this club to figure out they are walking into a bad place to work.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

My takeaway is that Brady wants to stay, good for him, either he is desperate to stay in MLB, or he doesn't feel like the front office,, is the cancer that some poster feel it is.

I think Brady being inside the front office since 2013, means he isn't brand new to things.

No, this does not mean, that I think he would make the best GM candidate.

I also think it might not be the worse than that can happen to this organization. Syd Thrift was in charge, and wasn't healthy enough to remember whom was on the roster, so to say Brady would be worse than that. I can't do that.

What was Flanny's resume before being handed the VP job?

The tumor never "feels" like cancer. 

I think you are accurate to link Brady with Thrift and Flanny. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

The tumor never "feels" like cancer. 

I think you are accurate to link Brady with Thrift and Flanny. 

it might be accurate, but too mature to say, since we have not seen him at the wheel.

Thrift was a great baseball man, that stayed on past, when he should have stepped away from baseball.

Flanny had limited FO background, you cant say  that of Brady.

I am not pushing for Brady to stay and be in charge.

I don't think it would be the Hindenburg disaster that some believe would be.

12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Just one question that Brady should be required to answer to the fanbase...”Did you directly recommend to ownership increasing the free agent contract offer for Chris Davis beyond what was being recommended by the GM?”   

It is a simple question.  I believe the answer is yes.   For that reason, alone, he should be fired, much less promoted.  And there are likely many behind the scenes machinations that have contributed to the organization being the disaster it currently is.  

Has there been any reporting anywhere that Brady was involved in the Chris Davis negotiations?   I don’t recall any.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

When I run a department, I am always grooming a replacement. I want somebody to handle things, while I am on vacation or out sick.

You also never know about future promotions, and you dont want to leave chaos behind you.

Good lord man! You think DD was happily grooming Brady to replace him? When you run a department would you like it if the organization hired someone who had roles within your department, that strongly affected the performance of your department, but who didn't answer to you? That didn't seemingly answer to anyone and who's personal authority was basically anything and everything he wanted to dabble in? That's what is going on. Since basically 1997 the only time the Orioles have had success was when Peter Angelos let a new GM/VP (MacPhail, DD) have free reign for their first few years. Angelos has rarely, rarely allowed the Orioles to function. He has been an agent of disfunction. If the sons allow Brady to do whatever he wants to do, then disfunction will continue. 

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

it might be accurate, but too mature to say, since we have not seen him at the wheel.

Thrift was a great baseball man, that stayed on past, when he should have stepped away from baseball.

Flanny had limited FO background, you cant say  that of Brady.

I am not pushing for Brady to stay and be in charge.

I don't think it would be the Hindenburg disaster that some believe would be.

The 2018 Orioles season and organization IS the Hindenburg disaster. The results speak for themselves. Back-to-back last place finishes with high payrolls. A historically bad 2018 with a high payroll. A mediocre minor league system that is bereft of high impact prospects. Years of ignoring the international market. How much more do you need to witness before you think the Orioles need new leadership? I don't think any of the decision makers in the Orioles front office deserve to stay. A new GM/VP should be hired and that person should have free reign to fill positions as they see fit. If that doesn't happen, then the Orioles will continue to be an unfocused mess IMO. 

16 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

This Connolly guy thinks Dan had a lot to do with building this flawed roster? Nonsense. Dan Connolly clearly doesn’t have accurate intel. Why would Duquette want to return to a place that has allowed Brady Anderson and Peter Angelos to neutered his baseball brilliance? I’m not buying it. I suspect Dan is running the Red Sox or Yankees in 2019 as word leaks of all the amazing deals he had arranged before Peter ruined them. I wonder who gets more in the offseason, Duquette or Machado.

You know we share different opinions on DD.  But even so...this is funny.

12 hours ago, fansince71 said:

I don’t think much of Brady myself but the level of the hate for him in this thread is unbelievable. Maybe we give him a chance?  J/K 

Look, I dont think people hate Brady, I do not.  But the idea that the dysfunction of the Orioles can be improved by removing Dan and Buck but elevating Brady is to be kind.  Brave.

12 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't hate Brady, Buck or DD. I just want them gone from the O's Organization. The team needs to go in a different direction. 

Agreed, DD is the only one I would retain and I am fine if he leaves as well.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Roch “reported” this morning that Brady will be with the Orioles next year in the same role or with more power. A Brady-less Orioles does not seem possible. It’s always about the relationship with the Angelos family. 

So, as much as I hate this the only way it could work is if he is given the keys to the whole thing.  No one worthy of a serious role is taking a spot above Brady if they cannot hold him accountable.

20 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Exactly

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has there been any reporting anywhere that Brady was involved in the Chris Davis negotiations?   I don’t recall any.

If he is at the table for decisions, isn't it implied that he was for it?  Is one to think that Dan, Buck, Brady all said no but Peter said yes?  

I assume Dan was against it and to a lesser extent Buck.  But I don't see this happening unless at least one of the three were for it and more likely two.  Regardless of which two.  Again, that is pure supposition.

Archived