Update: Tim Beckham and Caleb Joseph Non-tendered

Frobby

Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I stupid to think the Orioles should consider grabbing the recently non-tendered Avisail Garcia? He's still just 27 and from what I've seen of him is a good hitter. I know we aren't competing but he actually does seem like a potential trade deadline guy, or just somebody to have around to make the team slightly more watchable next year. 

43 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Am I stupid to think the Orioles should consider grabbing the recently non-tendered Avisail Garcia? He's still just 27 and from what I've seen of him is a good hitter. I know we aren't competing but he actually does seem like a potential trade deadline guy, or just somebody to have around to make the team slightly more watchable next year. 

The more watchable we are next season, the lower we will draft the following season. If we are going to bring in a guy who doesn't suck but will be 30+ when we're good again, I'd prefer that it be an excellent defensive catcher or shortstop.

Overall, I am glad that these two players were non-tendered and I agree with keeping everyone else (even Mike Wright, for now...) It signals that we are really gutting the fodder and redirecting the finances towards scouting and development.  

I guess this signals we are taking two in the Rule V?  My guess is a SS and a pitcher.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

The more watchable we are next season, the lower we will draft the following season. If we are going to bring in a guy who doesn't suck but will be 30+ when we're good again, I'd prefer that it be an excellent defensive catcher or shortstop.

Some would question whether Garcia would help us us "not suck". He was non tendered for a reason. 

9 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Avi Garcia is not some game-changer in the standings. But he put up a 138 OPS+ in 2017 and is still only 27. 

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Overall, I am glad that these two players were non-tendered and I agree with keeping everyone else (even Mike Wright, for now...) It signals that we are really gutting the fodder and redirecting the finances towards scouting and development.  

I guess this signals we are taking two in the Rule V?  My guess is a SS and a pitcher.

With the #1 draft spot and as much roster room being opened as possible - I can certainly see two Rule V selections.

By the way - the Orioles currently have just four players under FA contract, and three players in arbitration:

• Chris Davis - $23 M (partially deferred)
  • Alex Cobb - $14 M
  • Mark Trumbo - $13.5 M
  • Andrew Cashner - $9.5 M
  • Jonathan Villar (arb 2)
  • Mychal Givens (arb 1)
  • Dylan Bundy (arb 1)

All told, BBR has us at a team payroll of $82.9 M.

Archived