Orioles being sued over ADA issues

Legend_Of_Joey

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24869982/wheelchair-users-sue-baltimore-orioles-accessibility-camden-yards?platform=amp

3 wheelchair users are suing the Orioles, saying they got stuck in wheelchair lifts.

On top of that, they claim the view from the seats in the lower level isn't good and they get obstructed whenever fans stand up.

I'm sorry, but EVERYONE gets obstructed when the fans infront of you stand up...

9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24869982/wheelchair-users-sue-baltimore-orioles-accessibility-camden-yards?platform=amp

3 wheelchair users are suing the Orioles, saying they got stuck in wheelchair lifts.

On top of that, they claim the view from the seats in the lower level isn't good and they get obstructed whenever fans stand up.

I'm sorry, but EVERYONE gets obstructed when the fans infront of you stand up...

Exactly, people stand up in front of you, no matter the type of seat, you can't see.  Mechanical stuff such as wheel chair lifts, escalators and elevators will break down.  Another frivolous lawsuit. 

1 minute ago, Chromehill said:

Exactly, people stand up in front of you, no matter the type of seat, you can't see.  Mechanical stuff such as wheel chair lifts, escalators and elevators will break down.  Another frivolous lawsuit. 

Yes, but when someone stands up in front of me, for whatever reason, I am also able to stand up if I really want to view the game..

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yes, but when someone stands up in front of me, for whatever reason, I am also able to stand up if I really want to view the game..

And if the person in front of you is significantly larger than you?

Anyway, all you have to do is not sit behind Red Sox and Yankee fans and you won't have to worry about anyone standing up in front of you to cheer.

Obviously the Orioles should do whatever is reasonable to make the game an enjoyable experience for all fans but the question is how much is reasonable?

51 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yes that's true. But you have to understand how a fan that's in a wheelchair feels.  I know first hand how it feels. Now I wouldn't sue the O's over that obstructed view. I think that's a bit much. Maybe the O's and the stadium officials can come up with a better location for wheelchair bound folks. I have never been to the stadium. Just seems like folks could work things out with the O's. 

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyway, all you have to do is not sit behind Red Sox and Yankee fans and you won't have to worry about anyone standing up in front of you to cheer.

Obviously the Orioles should do whatever is reasonable to make the game an enjoyable experience for all fans but the question is how much is reasonable?

Minor league games were more fun for me. Handicap seating is behind home plate. 

17 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Yes that's true. But you have to understand how a fan that's in a wheelchair feels.  I know first hand how it feels. Now I wouldn't sue the O's over that obstructed view. I think that's a bit much. Maybe the O's and the stadium officials can come up with a better location for wheelchair bound folks. I have never been to the stadium. Just seems like folks could work things out with the O's. 

The stadium seems very ADA friendly. If you are in a wheelchair, scooter, crutches, ect, you literally can go around the whole stadium without needing to go up or down stairs or a ramp.

Handicap seats are at the top of the lower seating bowl, with the cross isle right behind. The only way a view would be blocked from people standing is if a play is right at the wall close to where you are seated, or it's a full stadium, as the seats right infront of the handicap seats are almost always empty.

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

I like no matter what the Orioles do people on here attack the other side.  I am not in a wheel chair you aren't in a wheel chair.  We don't know what really is happening.  

I applaud this lawsuit. It is not frivolous if you are confined to a wheelchair and I encourage any able-bodied folks to simply look at this with some empathy. Lawsuits aren't always about money, they can be used to make sure important issues like this rise to the top on occasion. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Certainly a working lift would be considered a reasonable request.

Just now, interloper said:

Certainly a working lift would be considered a reasonable request.

Sure.  If it is broken it should be fixed within a reasonable time frame.

I looked at a couple articles and they are woefully short on details.

Did the lift break once with all three persons on it?

Did it continually break over the course of the season?

How long were they stuck on it?

Had the stadium been performing proper checks and services on the lifts?

All these are factors that would color my opinion of the case.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I applaud this lawsuit. It is not frivolous if you are confined to a wheelchair and I encourage any able-bodied folks to simply look at this with some empathy. Lawsuits aren't always about money, they can be used to make sure important issues like this rise to the top on occasion. 

They are looking for monetary compensation, which is of course their right.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

With Lawyers, it's always about the money. They don't file these lawsuits with the expectation of no return.

Are you saying that all of the monies awarded would be going to the lawyers?  I think that is unlikely.

For the record I have no issues with the plaintiffs receiving monetary compensation if their injuries warrant it.  I just wanted to make it clear that money is involved.

Archived