Why Marlins Might Hire Buck in Front Office Rebuild

section18

Probably too hot for Buck and his wife. I think he wants to continue to manage. 

There was some talk Mattingly may not be brought back with one year left on his contract.

Would they release Mattingly and hire Buck short term as manager and make him an Assistant GM?

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

There was some talk Mattingly may not be brought back with one year left on his contract.

Would they release Mattingly and hire Buck short term as manager and make him an Assistant GM?

Buck was born and raised in Florida.  He's also managed in Texas and Arizona, some of the hottest places in the country.  

Something tells me he wouldn't mind the heat.  

Maybe Buck wants to stay in baseball.  Maybe he wants to call it a career.  I don't think there has been any indication one way or the other. 

I mention the heat because even on 90 degree days here Buck would wear his jacket and be covered up. I just assumed it was to help with losing weight. We've had other managers (Hargrove and Trembley) that would do the same thing and I was told they were trying to lose weight by sweating  more. Possibly to keep from getting skin C as well.  Scroll down for some of the managers salaries in 2018. Buck was doing okay here so he should have lasting memories of how well the Angelos family treated him in Baltimore. As I stated on other posts most people I know had no idea Adam Jones made $17 million dollars this season and no idea Buck made 4 million. The last game here on Sunday I had 2 older ladies sitting next to me who loved both AJ and Buck and I asked them how much do you think AJ made this year? They were not dumb or out of the loop ladies and were quite knowledgeable about baseball. They guessed $10 million for AJ and $1 million for Buck. Neither one were underpaid.  Would the Marlins pay Buck $4 million to go there? Maybe to do both jobs. Mattingly is making $2.5 million  and Molitor 1.3.

Image result for buck showalter orioles photos

A closer look at the managers who earn the most and least among the 30 MLB clubs.

12 hours ago, section18 said:

Old people like Florida.

8 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I have to think Jeter will go as cheap as possible so I doubt Buck will be too thrilled managing with a low income contract, Just speculating. If Mattingly is still signed, I think that rules out everyone else.

The article was speculating on Buck working in a front office role for the Marlins, it was not about being manager. 

I think Buck is most likely to take a television job or completely retire. 

Archived