The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The 750K in slots was one of those situations.  It just made no sense at any level.

The only way I can twist into some sense-making transaction is if the Os have a hard budget for international signings and Philly committed to not trading it away to Miami (or anyone else) until these three were off the table. Dubious, I know.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the going rate for a Zoellner is 750K the two the Marlins traded away must have been worth at least 2.5M.

I wouldn't be so sure about this.  These other teams know the Marlins are pretty desperate.  I imagine they are driving a hard bargain.

3 minutes ago, stef said:

The only way I can twist into some sense-making transaction is if the Os have a hard budget for international signings and Philly committed to not trading it away to Miami (or anyone else) until these three were off the table. Dubious, I know.

Even if that is the case the Marlins don't know the O's have a hard budget.  Why broadcast that information for Jack?  The slots don't expire until next July.

Someone suggested that the slots were payback for Jones refusing the trade.  That makes sense but it's also stupid.  The O's don't owe the Phillies anything.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So where are all those people who were telling me that trading the 750K in slots away wasn't a big deal since they still had more money than everyone else?

I wasn't one who thought that but what I do think is that the brothers told Dan they weren't going to spend up to the total slot amount so he dumped the excess. IMO they won't even go up to the $6.5 M, they want to slash payroll.

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I wasn't one who thought that but what I do think is that the brothers told Dan they weren't going to spend up to the total slot amount so he dumped the excess. IMO they won't even go up to the $6.5 M, they want to slash payroll.

And yet the Marlins of all teams have the money to spend.

Why?

Because they know that in the long run it is cheaper to pay these guys than it is to deal with marginal free agents.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I would be willing to speculate, that if DD gets hired elsewhere in baseball, he will find success.

Cape Cod baseball league is a tough environment to succeed so I wouldn't bet too much money on that. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be honest, a lot of things the Orioles do bother me since I don't think they are making optimal choices.

Only one maybe two a year really set me off.

Stuff like the Hobgood pick and trading for Parra.

The 750K in slots was one of those situations.  It just made no sense at any level.

You forgot trading Matusz and Webb with draft picks to get nothing in return. 

Archived