The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That was three years ago and it only lasted a few days. I'm also fairly certain there was no actual rioting near the stadium. 

Correct, I think if I remember right, they delayed exiting briefly, so they could get extra law folks on the scene, to make sure, people could leave safely.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is it just location though? How excited would you be to sign with a team coming off a historically bad season with no VP of Baseball Operations, GM or manager? Add in Baltimore's reputation as a murder capital, with mobs that were allowed to "have space" to destroy property that caused a game to played with no fans, and even as a lifelong Orioles fan I can understand why no would want to come here unless it was about the bottom dollar and the Orioles were willing to give them way more then anyone else.

Maybe a miracle happens and the Orioles somehow land the Mesa brothers, but I just don't see it happening with the Orioles in their current state of flux.

Because most Orioles players don't live in the city and if they do it's in the Ritz Carlton/Silo Point type condos that are exceptionally nice and far enough away from where the vast majority of crime is that the chances of them being murdered is astronomically low. The Os have had no problems signing FAs and have signed plenty of their own guys as well. Contrary to what you may believe, there aren't murderous mobs destroying property every day here. The point about the FO dysfunction is obviously pertinent here but I think you're grossly mischaracterizing the city these players would live in if they signed for a few mil. They'd be totally insulated.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

How many people have been killed in the parking lot at OPACY and ballgames, ZIP

LA and San Fran have, yet, the fans continue to attend games there.

Baltimore is a very safe place to go to a baseball game. Fact. 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is it just location though? How excited would you be to sign with a team coming off a historically bad season with no VP of Baseball Operations, GM or manager? Add in Baltimore's reputation as a murder capital, with mobs that were allowed to "have space" to destroy property that caused a game to played with no fans, and even as a lifelong Orioles fan I can understand why no would want to come here unless it was about the bottom dollar and the Orioles were willing to give them way more then anyone else.

Maybe a miracle happens and the Orioles somehow land the Mesa brothers, but I just don't see it happening with the Orioles in their current state of flux.

No offense Tony, but you're sounding a lot like Ed Norris in this post and that's not a good thing. Baltimore's reputation of being unsafe is wildly overblown by the media and people who keep repeating because it meets their agenda. There's always going to be more crime in the City. In any City. That's just the way it works. 

In terms of the Mesa brothers I think the large Cuban population in Miami is far more likely to influence their signing then the crime in Baltimore. 

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Because most Orioles players don't live in the city and if they do it's in the Ritz Carlton/Silo Point type condos that are exceptionally nice and far enough away from where the vast majority of crime is that the chances of them being murdered is astronomically low. The Os have had no problems signing FAs and have signed plenty of their own guys as well. Contrary to what you may believe, there aren't murderous mobs destroying property every day here. The point about the FO dysfunction is obviously pertinent here but I think you're grossly mischaracterizing the city these players would live in if they signed for a few mil. They'd be totally insulated.

They dont live in the city, because they got money, and people with money, live in the well-to-do sections of the state. Like Cal Ripken did and now Adam Jones.

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

No offense Tony, but you're sounding a lot like Ed Norris in this post and that's not a good thing. Baltimore's reputation of being unsafe is wildly overblown by the media and people who keep repeating because it meets their agenda. There's always going to be more crime in the City. In any City. That's just the way it works. 

In terms of the Mesa brothers I think the large Cuban population in Miami is far more likely to influence their signing then the crime in Baltimore. 

Agreed. Money being equal, Miami is where they would sign. 

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Correct, I think if I remember right, they delayed exiting briefly, so they could get extra law folks on the scene, to make sure, people could leave safely.

Exactly. It was really just a precautionary move. I've never felt unsafe around the stadium. Never. 

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

They dont live in the city, because they got money, and people with money, live in the well-to-do sections of the state. Like Cal Ripken did and now Adam Jones.

Many players have lived in Fells Point. I've seen them there. Walking their dogs. 

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

And those well-to-do areas are some of the richest and safest areas of the entire country with some of the best schools. Like another poster said, I have seen a lot of the younger guys in the south Baltimore area. They obviously chose to live there for a reason and if it was really that bad I'm sure they'd move away.

Archived