The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He did, and I'm sure if you wanted coke Miami would still be a place to get it.  But you can probably get coke in any city.  I suggest checking out the documentary, its fantastic.

If you want heroin, Baltimore is the place to get it.  Baltimore had a heroin problem before it became the nationwide epidemic.  At least Baltimore is a trendsetter in some areas.  Take that Miami!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If you want heroin, Baltimore is the place to get it.  Baltimore had a heroin problem before it became the nationwide epidemic.  At least Baltimore is a trendsetter in some areas.  Take that Miami!

Followed slightly by 

Huntington, West Virginia

"With a population of just over 48,000, this rural town in West Virginia has been devastated by the heroin epidemic. On August 15, 2016, in a four-hour period, 26 people overdosed, bringing this community to the national news."

16 hours ago, Malike said:

I read the Marlins added 1.75M between the two players they traded. That would put them at 6M, so right in line with the O's. They might not be done, either.

It's always entertaining to watch the Orioles get out-maneuvered in real time. 

10 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok Thanks. 

Truly a great, fascinating documentary! We should make sure the Mesas watch it, but just remove all references to the 1980s... so they think it's still going on. 

Truth is, Miami is a beautiful city for the most part, and South Beach is... South Beach. 

It's a natural fit for young, rich, Cuban-born single dudes. If it's a contest of cities, Miami wins. 

That's why Brady needs to convince them of how good our gym equipment is. 

29 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

No offense Tony, but you're sounding a lot like Ed Norris in this post and that's not a good thing. Baltimore's reputation of being unsafe is wildly overblown by the media and people who keep repeating because it meets their agenda. There's always going to be more crime in the City. In any City. That's just the way it works. 

In terms of the Mesa brothers I think the large Cuban population in Miami is far more likely to influence their signing then the crime in Baltimore. 

Here's the problem. While I have nothing remotely resembling inside information, logic tells me that under the current system, teams' pursuit and signing of the top international free agents is a bit like recruiting big-time college basketball or football, or teams signing promising U.S. players before the amateur draft was instituted. Teams will often have similar amounts to spend on a player, but even where are there differences in the money, part of the task is to convince the players -- the good ones, anyway, who have other options -- that they should want to join your organization.

I'm sure the Mesas and Gaston know all about the attractions pf Miami for a Cuban emigre and were shown them first-hand by the Marlins. I'm confident that Jeter and/or others have told them or their agents about their plans to build a contending team, and it wouldn't surprise me if, as part of their pitch, they described Baltimore as an unwelcoming, dangerous place.

The Orioles are obviously are at a big disadvantage relative to Miami in selling their city to Cuban or other Latin players. They also have put themselves in a box by committing resources to try to sign international free agents at a time when they have no GM or manager to present plans for the team's future. But have they even tried? Did the Orioles do anything to try to sell these guys on playing in Baltimore or on the team's future? Did they invite them for a visit? Was there anyone in the delegation that went to Miami who could do that effectively? It sounds like the Orioles went into the workout and negotiations assuming that throwing the biggest pile of money at the Mesas would be enough (and, probably, also assuming that the Marlins' slot amount was frozen).

If that's the case, it's just one more reason to shake your head in frustration at this team's consistent managerial ineptness and poor -- or non-existent -- planning. Being an Orioles fan is good for the neck muscles.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's the problem. While I have nothing remotely resembling inside information, logic tells me that under the current system, teams' pursuit and signing of the top international free agents is a bit like recruiting big-time college basketball or football, or teams signing promising U.S. players before the amateur draft was instituted. Teams will often have similar amounts to spend on a player, but even where are there differences in the money, part of the task is to convince the players -- the good ones, anyway, who have other options -- that they should want to join your organization.

I'm sure the Mesas and Gaston know all about the attractions pf Miami for a Cuban emigre and were shown them first-hand by the Marlins. I'm confident that Jeter and/or others have told them or their agents about their plans to build a contending team, and it wouldn't surprise me if, as part of their pitch, they described Baltimore as an unwelcoming, dangerous place.

The Orioles are obviously are at a big disadvantage relative to Miami in selling their city to Cuban or other Latin players. They also have put themselves in a box by committing resources to try to sign international free agents at a time when they have no GM or manager to present plans for the team's future. But have they even tried? Did the Orioles do anything to try to sell these guys on playing in Baltimore or on the team's future? Did they invite them for a visit? Was there anyone in the delegation that went to Miami who could do that effectively? It sounds like the Orioles went into the workout and negotiations assuming that throwing the biggest pile of money at the Mesas would be enough (and, probably, also assuming that the Marlins' slot amount was frozen).

If that's the case, it's just one more reason to shake your head in frustration at this team's consistent managerial ineptness and poor -- or non-existent -- planning. Being an Orioles fan is good for the neck muscles.

Amateur athletics aside, it is now and will always be all about the money. Now Miami can offer that too. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That was three years ago and it only lasted a few days. I'm also fairly certain there was no actual rioting near the stadium. 

I went to work downtown the day after.The National guard troops were a nice touch.The stadium did have a few minor incidents.Barricades were thrown and some fights between Boston and Oriiole fans  with the protesters and some pocketbooks taken The rioting was not everywhere.Locust Point,Hampden,Remington,Guilford did not have rioting. It was a small part of the city.Where I live there was no rioting .In fact some people were complaining why there seemed to be no curfew in Hampden.

Archived