The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, atomic said:

Look at the re-sale prices on stubhub.  They are half of what they once were. 

So people are willing to risk their lives if the price is right on stubhub? The Ravens games sell out. I've never been in Baltimore on a football Sunday. Don't people tailgate and the like? Some of these posts make it sound like there must be dead bodies piled up in the stadium parking lots. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

So people are willing to risk their lives if the price is right on stubhub? The Ravens games sell out. I've never been in Baltimore on a football Sunday. Don't people tailgate and the like? Some of these posts make it sound like there must be dead bodies piled up in the stadium parking lots. 

Ravens games were always tougher to work than Orioles games, from a police standpoint.

A lot of people were actually super drunk even before kick off.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't there heightened security on opening day and playoff games?

Yes, and the knowledge that they're likely to be packed with fellow fans... Safety in numbers. 

The lack of fans and perceived safety issues go hand-in-hand. When we get great again and games start selling out, the safety issue will magically vanish. 

So by around 2050, this won't even be an issue anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Well before say 150,000 were willing to go to the city who had $150 for a ticket.  Now there are 75,000 willing to pay $150.  So you lost half the people willing to go to a game at a certain price but you still can fill the stadium but not at the same price.  Not rocket science here.  Basic supply and demand.  

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Ravens games had a ton of empty seats last year.  It was a major topic of sports conversation around the area.  I don't know how they've done in their home games so far this year.

The danger or perception of danger in Baltimore city is an issue.  We can debate how big of an issue it is all we want but there is no question that some people don't feel safe or comfortable going into the city.  For Opening Day/playoffs/etc there are bigger crowds, more security, and people generally feel safer.

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Ravens attendance is also down despite the team being pretty competitive. There are more empty seats in that the stadium the past two years than I've seen in a while and I've gone to just about every game since 2005. The truth is that ticket/concession prices are too high, people's wages aren't rising with the costs associated with attending sporting events and watching the games at home or at a bar are much cheaper and more convenient. Plus Baltimore is a relatively small city. Despite the "booming" economy, most people don't have enough money to fit constantly attending sporting events into their budgets. Especially those with families.

3 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Yes, and the knowledge that they're likely to be packed with fellow fans... Safety in numbers. 

The lack of fans and perceived safety issues go hand-in-hand. When we get great again and games start selling out, the safety issue will magically vanish. 

So by around 2050, this won't even be an issue anymore. 

Yellowstone is blowing it's top in 2047.

36 minutes ago, weams said:

The corporate crowd never returned. 

I was talking to someone who works in corporate events and they said that these events are still doing well even though the Orioles are doing poorly.   There are limited amount of places that can hold big corporate events so they are still doing good business. 

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Ravens games had a ton of empty seats last year.  It was a major topic of sports conversation around the area.  I don't know how they've done in their home games so far this year.

The danger or perception of danger in Baltimore city is an issue.  We can debate how big of an issue it is all we want but there is no question that some people don't feel safe or comfortable going into the city.  For Opening Day/playoffs/etc there are bigger crowds, more security, and people generally feel safer.

But even this year there was less demand for opening day tickets.  I saw opening day tickets for sale to the general public on ticketmaster for several days.  Before all I ever saw where standing room only tickets for opening day. Definitely less of a demand. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

But even this year there was less demand for opening day tickets.  I saw opening day tickets for sale to the general public on ticketmaster for several days.  Before all I ever saw where standing room only tickets for opening day. Definitely less of a demand. 

Jon Shepherd says he got a strange txt regarding this all. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Jon Shepherd says he got a strange txt regarding this all. 

As a matter of process it would be a huge failure even if the on field the impact is minimal.

*Unless of course they magic hat a guy out of Mexico or Asia.

How many 16 year old Koreans can you sign for 6M?

Are the O's scouts allowed back in the country yet?

Archived