The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And this:

The Orioles traded Kevin Gausman to get his salary for the next two seasons and Darren O’Day’s off the books. It may not have been presented as such then, but that’s what happened.

And this:

I am prospect-oriented to a fault, but fail to see how not using all of the fake money in a trade that was blatantly a real-money saver and nothing more for a 21-year-old outfielder with a great marketing team does anything to change or reinforce anything.

That guy doesn't even know Mesa is 22 heh. Lazy.?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was on mobile earlier and I want to get back to this.

First the idea that Gaston might be a top ten or even top five pick is hilarious.

Secondly here is the MLB.com list I referenced.

https://www.mlb.com/news/july-2-international-prospects-signing-tracker/c-283495622

1. Diego Cartaya*, C, Venezuela -- Dodgers ($2,500,000) More »
2. Marco Luciano*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Giants ($2,600,000) More »
3. Misael Urbina*, OF, Venezuela -- Twins (2,750,000) More »
4. Orelvis Martinez*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Blue Jays ($3,500,000) More »
5. Richard Gallardo*, RHP, Venezuela -- Cubs ($1,000,000) More »
6. Gabriel Rodriguez*, SS, Venezuela -- Indians ($2,100,000) More »
7. Noelvi Marte*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Mariners ($1,550,000) More »
8. Starlyn Castillo*, RHP, Dominican Republic -- Phillies ($1,600,000) More »
9. Osiel Rodriguez, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees More »
10. Kevin Alcantara, SS, Dominican Republic -- Yankees More »
11. Antonio Gomez*, C, Venezuela -- Yankees ($600,000) More »
12. Junior Sanquintin*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Indians ($1,250,000) More »
13. Francisco Alvarez*, C, Venezuela -- Mets ($2,700,000) More »
14. Sandy Gaston, RHP, Cuba
15. Jose De La Cruz*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Tigers (1,800,000) More »
16. Alvin Guzman*, OF, Dominican Republic -- D-backs (1,850,000) More »
17. Jose Lopez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Cubs ($1,500,000) More »
18. Eduarqui Fernandez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Brewers ($1,100,000) More »
19. Adinso Reyes*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Tigers ($1,450,000) More »
20. Eduardo Garcia, SS, Venezuela -- Brewers More »
21. Jose Rodriguez*, C, Venezuela -- Rangers ($2,000,000) More »
22. Alejandro Pie*, SS, Dominican Republic -- Rays ($1,400,000) More »
23. Eduardo Lopez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Red Sox ($1,150,000) More »
24. Alexander Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic -- Angels More »
25. Freddy Valdez*, OF, Dominican Republic -- Mets ($1,450,000) More »
26. Branlyn Jaraba*, SS, Colombia -- Brewers ($1,100,000) More »
27. Luis Matos*, OF, Venezuela -- Giants ($725,000) More »
28. Joel Machado*, LHP, Venezuela -- Cubs ($850,000) More »
29. Denny Larrondo*, RHP, Cuba -- Yankees ($550,000) More »
30. Jerming Rosario*, RHP, Dominican Republic -- Dodgers ($600,000)

As you can see one player got more than the 3M you want to offer Gaston. 

I clearly said if he was a high schooler in the draft. Upper 90's would blow away any 17 year old. He would be a top pick in that case.  I wasn't talking about him as an international signee.

Which again, my point was everyone is a risk. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

I clearly said if he was a high schooler in the draft. Upper 90's would blow away any 17 year old. He would be a top pick in that case.  I wasn't talking about him as an international signee.

The international market isn't so strong that the #15 guy would be the equivalent of a top 10 draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Betting on 16 year old is always a crapshoot. Sure, Vlad Jr. was probably a good bet. Otherwise, you just never know.  You gotta play to win, but there sure are a ton of losses. 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why are you insisting on grouping Gaston with the Mesa brothers?  Gaston almost signed weeks ago before these same Marlins pulled their offer.

If the O's offer what they have left to VVM/Jr why should they take say 1.5M less just so Gaston can also sign with Miami?  Have you got a buddy you'd give up 1.5M for?  I don't.  Heck I don't have a sibling I'd give up 400K for.

Ummm because the Marlins are still interested in the Mesa brothers AND Gaston. And all three are interested in going to Miami. Why is that so hard to understand?

Again, we have ZERO clue what salary figures anyone is asking for. So your hypothetical is pointless. We don't know how much if any money these players will have to leave on the table.

I used to think it was just veterans you didn't want the Orioles to spend on. Seems you just don't want the Orioles spending period. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The international market isn't so strong that the #15 guy would be the equivalent of a top 10 draft pick.

I wasn't using the international market as a comparison. If Gaston is a 17 year old mowing down high school hitters, he's going to get noticed....see Dylan Bundy.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Ummm because the Marlins are still interested in the Mesa brothers AND Gaston. And all three are interested in going to Miami. Why is that so hard to understand?

Again, we have ZERO clue what salary figures anyone is asking for. So your hypothetical is pointless. We don't know how much if any money these players will have to leave on the table.

I used to think it was just veterans you didn't want the Orioles to spend on. Seems you just don't want the Orioles spending period. 

So the fact that Miami has recently traded for an additional 1.7M in slot money isn't a clue as to what the players are asking for?

Are you really going to run with that?

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

I wasn't using the international market as a comparison. If Gaston is a 17 year old mowing down high school hitters, he's going to get noticed....see Dylan Bundy.

Bundy had a cutter that was a better pitch than his 98 MPH fastball!

He had a good curve ball in High School.

Folks have already noticed Gaston.  They know he's there. 

But if a guy can't crack the top 10 international list he isn't a super high draft pick.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Betting on 16 year old is always a crapshoot. Sure, Vlad Jr. was probably a good bet. Otherwise, you just never know.  You gotta play to win, but there sure are a ton of losses. 

Its a numbers game.  That is why the other teams in the division sign 25 guys every year.  You are lucky if one of the 25 makes it to the majors. 

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bundy had a cutter that was a better pitch than his 98 MPH fastball!

He had a good curve ball in High School.

Folks have already noticed Gaston.  They know he's there. 

But if a guy can't crack the top 10 international list he isn't a super high draft pick.

Under my scenario, he wouldn't need to crack the international list. But ok.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the fact that Miami has recently traded for an additional 1.7M in slot money isn't a clue as to what the players are asking for?

Are you really going to run with that?

Well, the $4m they had wasn't going to do it. So what's your point?

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Under my scenario, he wouldn't need to crack the international list. But ok.

How many different ways do I have to say this before you understand?

A player whose talent level puts them outside the top 10 list of international prospects for a given year isn't going to have the talent to crack the top 10 in the draft as a HS student.

Even if you put him in a weak league in which he can dominate with a 100 MPH FB and nothing else.

Archived