Machado: Hustling is 'not my cup of tea'

Malike

Not running balls out would have angered the hell out of me perhaps five years ago.  

I stopped running balls out in men's leagues a few years ago because I have been out of shape for a while and it affected my catching.  But I Rex Hudlered it down the line for almost thirty years--and ran on and off the field the same way.  I suppose this is one reason doggin it doesn't bother me as much anymore.

While it is unfortunate, I do not believe starting catchers necessarily need to bust it down the line.  I would actually discourage pitchers from doing this because they are such (relatively) terrible and injury-prone athletes.  Unless it is a high leverage situation or playoff-type game.

I strongly dislike it, but I do not get angry at the rare spectacular player not running balls out.  The exception is if one of these rare players--like Alomar or Trout--has a game that depends on speed. 

I can live with Machado being a prima dona, but he would be a lot better if he ran balls out.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I'm not entirely sure what kind of agenda you're trying to push here Frobby.

If a guy is vocal about how much he doesn't like to hustle and is known as kind of a diva............that means he is physically incapable of turning the jets on to score a winning run even if he wanted to.

I mean, it's just science.

Sorry, I disagree.

Not legging it out to first, is not condoned and I dont like that type of play, Manny is far from the first to do it.

Just because you dont hustle to first, mean, you dont turn on the jets, and take 3rd on a single to the outfield, or score from 2nd on a single to the outfield.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sorry, I disagree.

Not legging it out to first, is not condoned and I dont like that type of play, Manny is far from the first to do it.

Just because you dont hustle to first, mean, you dont turn on the jets, and take 3rd on a single to the outfield, or score from 2nd on a single to the outfield.

Aglets was being sarcastic, I believe.   

Archived