Midseason Mission Statement

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has anyone got a link to the declaration that was made during the season when the sons officially took over?  The bit when we all got excited that things might actually be changing.

Things are changing.   They are getting worse!  :)

There wasn't an o-fficial team declaration about the sons because that would also raise questions about their father.   Stories of Peter's failing health are out there, but nothing from the team.

What Dan said in July

“In conjunction with that, we’re also going to be making significant investments this offseason in technology and analytics. We’re going to become more active on the international market and invest in our facilities and strengthen our overall baseball operation. That’s part of a plan that we have to have to get the Orioles back to competitiveness. But this is just the first step in a new direction.”

“It’s a plan that we’ve been working on for a while. We have the support of ownership and the people that have made the recommendations to advance in these areas, they’re on board. It’s a multi-dimensional plan. You have to do a number of things well to compete in professional sports, but we had identified the areas that we needed to improve in - technology, international scouting, facilities, the draft, strengthening our analytics, investing in our international scouting, investing in more front office staff to be more in line with our competitors, expanding our nutrition and wellness resources at every level of the organization. So those are areas that were identified that we can improve in and the ownership understands those are areas that we need to put more resources into.

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/duquette-on-todays-trade-and-the-plan-moving-forward.html

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

There wasn't an o-fficial team declaration about the sons because that would also raise questions about their father.   Stories of Peter's failing health are out there, but nothing from the team.

What Dan said in July

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/duquette-on-todays-trade-and-the-plan-moving-forward.html

Exactly what I was looking for.

From the Orioles website under News and Press Releases on Oct 3:

Orioles announce transition in baseball operations leadership

Oct. 3rd, 2018
The Orioles announced Wednesday that Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Dan Duquette and field manager Buck Showalter will not return to the organization in 2019. Duquette and Showalter are currently completing contracts that conclude at the end of the month.

The club will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the Baseball Operations department. Once in place, this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community.

While Director of Scouting Gary Rajsich, Vice President of Baseball Operations Brady Anderson, and Director of Player Development Brian Graham currently remain under contract, Graham will handle day-to-day oversight of Baseball Operations department in the interim period. Graham joined the Orioles organization in 2007 after having previously served as interim General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On behalf of the club, the Angelos family, and partners, spokesperson Greg Bader issued the following statement:

"With the conclusion of the 2018 season, the club has decided to reorganize its Baseball Operations department under new executive management. We thank Dan and Buck for their many contributions over the past several years. Under their leadership, prior to the 2018 season and for six consecutive years, the club delivered competitive teams playing meaningful baseball into September, achieved three postseason appearances and came within four games of a World Series appearance, and won more games than any other American League club during a period spanning five of those six enjoyable seasons.

"Everyone in Birdland and across our organization will cherish these memories, and we all join in thanking Dan and Buck for their contributions.

"As we look forward to the next chapter of Orioles Baseball, we are grateful for the ongoing support of our fans. While this year has been a challenge, the organization is determined to grow and change in ways that will ultimately lead us back to the postseason."

28 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

To paraphrase Duquette's statements - Things are changing (but not really).

He probably thought things were changing. I think he believed he still had a job after they let him handle the trade deadline.

Whatever though...the ownership in Baltimore is absolutely a joke.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

He probably thought things were changing. I think he believed he still had a job after they let him handle the trade deadline.

Whatever though...the ownership in Baltimore is absolutely a joke.

I agree. Why else would he make two trades that involved slot money. Unless it was basically just a throw in. Which is what it was since we didn’t use it. 

The Orioles used Duquette as their mouth piece about their change in philosophy. 

Due to the poor season he and Showalter were fired and rightly so!

IMO ....John and Lou deserve the benefit of the doubt to prove real change under their direction is possible.

Regarding the benefit of the doubt:

1.  It is October 25th, they still have hired a Head of Baseball Operations, GM or Manager

2.  3 Good International prospects available, the Orioles did not sign any of them, even though they had the most money to offer

3.  Other than the 10/3 press release, no communication from the Orioles regarding moving forward, plans, etc.

4.  Current O's staff have no idea what is going on, they are asking reporters if they know anything

5.  On 10/31 the contracts for the coaches and minor league staff expire, they have had nothing regarding their continued employment

I would say John and Lou to date are no better than their father. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles used Duquette as their mouth piece about their change in philosophy. 

Due to the poor season he and Showalter were fired and rightly so!

IMO ....John and Lou deserve the benefit of the doubt to prove real change under their direction is possible.

I personally tried to give them a clean slate. But they let a dead man walking GM trade away 1/3 of our team for international money that they didn't send . So I'd say the ship of giving anyone in the organization the benefit of the doubt has sailed. Until then it's incompetent until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

1.  It is October 25th, they still have hired a Head of Baseball Operations, GM or Manager

2.  3 Good International prospects available, the Orioles did not sign any of them, even though they had the most money to offer

3.  Other than the 10/3 press release, no communication from the Orioles regarding moving forward, plans, etc.

4.  Current O's staff have no idea what is going on, they are asking reporters if they know anything

5.  On 10/31 the contracts for the coaches and minor league staff expire, they have had nothing regarding their continued employment

Yep. Agree 100%. We're not off to a good start. And I know that some will blame no. 2 on Duquette, but ownership had to sign off on that move / strategy. If Dan pitched it and they didn't buy in they should have replaced him mid season instead of letting him lead the rebuild effort. 

I also think the not communicating with the public reeks of a sense of entitlement which makes sense for two men born into money. They'll find out soon enough that engaging the general public is a necessary evil if they want to sell tickets, merchandise, etc.. Or maybe they're truly just shedding payroll with an eye on selling and that's why they don't care. 

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

1) They are in the middle of a major search and decision. I dont know why you feel like they need to rush or offer you play by play on their efforts. This thought process by fans here that ownership owes them regular updates is absurd. From someone that has hired and fired people for a number of years .... It just doesn't work that way for many reasons that those of you just wouldn't understand!

2) The Orioles can't help that the Mesa's and Gaston wanted to play in Florida. The money being offered was not much different bewteen the two teams. The Mesas waited for the Marlins to come up with the money to sign and Gaston took money from the other available team. The Orioles couldn't make either sign here as the players under the current system have a ton of control. If Gaston had signed with Philly, Boston, or New York you might have a valid argument.

3) They have stated that they are hiring a new management team that includes a President and a new GM. So if the new President will truly be in control of the baseball decision its fair to say that the "Plan" is pending the new hire. What part of that don't you understand? Its not rocket science!

4) How do you know this? By all accounts Brian Graham and Brady have been handling Orioles business in the interim. The fates of them and other employees will and should be determined by the new President. Again common sense right?

5) Thats because the new baseball leaders will make those decisions ....You obviously don't get it!

Your opinion based on an entitled point of view that has no merit and not logically thinking about the situation.

Look ... I am not just busting your balls. The Angelos brothers have watched their father run this team for years. I'd be willing to bet that they've seen the error in many of the mistakes that they he made. In addition, the lack of success despite the wealth of resources says plenty. The inability to fix the drafting and development that was broken when Peter purchased the Orioles and imo never fixed has to be an issue. You or I could've drafted better than the Orioles did over 20+ years by just pulling names out of a hat!

The sons have been handed a business to run worth 600 million dollars +/- . They sent their acting GM out to make statements about changes that they want to make moving forward. They fired that GM and their manager in a performance based business after the duo produced historically bad results.

They've said they are replacing Duquette with a new President and also will hire a GM. Once in place the President will be allowed to hire his own people from the GM down. That includes assistants Gms, scouts, coaching staffs, and a manager. So yes everyone is currently left wondering and I'd be more concerned if assurances were being made without the new baseball chief in place.

The Orioles are not expected to be a player in free agency and therefore there is no rush! As bad as the organization has been in all aspects I'm not concerned about losing any of them.

Archived