TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

How long do you think is a reasonable time to conduct the search? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they begun their search the day they fired Duquette (0/3) It's ludicrous if they just started on that date, but let's just start there for argument sake. In three days it will be a month. All but the playoff teams were done by then so any candidate under consideration should have been interviewed already. Unless the Orioles were waiting on a Boston/Los Angeles candidate, the candidate should have already been interviewed by now. 

So in your mind, since you think the Orioles are going about this the right way, when does your patience run out on the process and you start to have concerns?

My patience ran out Tuesday morning when they didn't schedule a press conference. If they aren't capable of making decisions in a prompt, efficient manner they should sell.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

My patience ran out Tuesday morning when they didn't schedule a press conference. If they aren't capable of making decisions in a prompt, efficient manner they should sell.

Given that, how long do you think it’ll take them to decide on selling?  Add another couple years and how long do you think before they’ll agree on the price??

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not much usually happens at the GM meetings, deal-wise.   Maybe some preliminary discussions.   Yes I’d much rather have a GM in place by then, but even if we do, how prepared is that person going to be to start wheeling and dealing?    Not very.

It’s really more the principle of the thing.  It’s been obvious for months that the front office needs an overhaul.    You’d think the owners would have moved decisively to address it.   

I agree on the player front.  But this will be an opportunity to meet with candidates for front office and other related positions.  It's as much a job fair as a meeting for GM's.  Having at least the top exec in place for those meetings would be a good thing.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Plenty?

Also MLB has to approve any move and they don't approve many.

Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Montreal, San Antonio.

What moves has MLB specifically turned down? They've turned down the Athletics moving to San Jose, but that is because San Jose is directly in the Giant's market. But that's it. 

If there is a lot of money for people to make, anything can happen. Rules can change in a second if it means that a bunch of people are going to get richer.

Just now, theocean said:

What moves has MLB specifically turned down? They've turned down the Athletics moving to San Jose, but that is because San Jose is directly in the Giant's market. But that's it. 

If there is a lot of money for people to make, anything can happen. Rules can change in a second if it means that a bunch of people are going to get richer.

One team has moved in more than forty years and MLB bought them first.

I'm guessing the topic has come up.  It isn't something that a team is going to take public.

Peter Angelos didn't seem to care about the public's -- whether the public was Oriole fans, prospective Oriole fans, baseball fans generally, the media, MLB, other owners, or anyone else -- perception of the team or of him. For years, he  seemed oblivious to, and didn't respond to, having himself or his team criticized, called names and even vilified. 

I've always thought that it matters how you're seen by your customers and potential customers, your professional colleagues, the people that write about you. It might affect in any number of ways -- how loyal your customers remain (especially when you go through hard times), how much of what you're selling they will buy, how your employees feel about your organization and their desire to remain with it if they have other opportunities, getting top people to come to work for you (in the context of the Orioles, that would include executives, managers, free agent players and draftees). Maybe I'm wrong, and in the case of the Orioles or MLB teams generally, public perceptions don't have much of an impact.

The Orioles clearly are taking a public relations hit. Despite their woeful play this season, they got at least a small bump from July to September when they committed to a rebuild, gave signs of pursuing international free agents, discharged Dan and Buck, and identified someone other than Peter Angelos as being in charge. But from everything I read it seems clear that the secrecy in which their search for new hires is proceeding -- or not proceeding, who the hell knows? -- and the slow pace at which they're proceeding are tending to confirm what the media, at least, thought about the Peter Angelos regime. 

I haven't seen the term "laughingstock" reappear yet, but I think we're getting close. Here's Ken Davidoff, a pretty well respected and not especially nasty columnist, summary of MLB openings in Monday's New York Post: "The Giants still need a general manager; it could be Mets runner-up Chaim Bloom of the Rays. The Rangers still need a manager; they’ve already eliminated Joe Girardi. And the Orioles still need both, although it’s not clear they know that."    

Maybe all that counts is that the Orioles make good hiring decisions, straighten out the organization, and get the rebuild going, and the long silence about what's going on, the timing of the hiring, and what anyone thinks or writes about how they got there won't affect the team. Either the Angeloses think that's the case, or they just don't care. (I am keeping a promise I made to myself a few years back not to infer from anything the Orioles do or don't do, or say, that a sale of the team might be imminent. That's just too much to hope for until a deal is finalized.)

6 minutes ago, theocean said:

If there is a lot of money for people to make, anything can happen. Rules can change in a second if it means that a bunch of people are going to get richer.

The Commissioner has made it clear that the money he's looking for will be expansion-team fees that can be shared all the owners, and that a number of cities (some outside the U.S.) are potential expansion targets. He hasn't said, but it's obvious, that those fees will be maximized by choosing what are, at the moment MLB decides to sell two new franchises, the most desirable sites.   

The Commissioner also has made it clear many times that expansion will have to await the resolution of the stadium issues in Oakland and Tampa. The implication, and it may have been made explicit, is that MLB will have to allow either team to move if it can't get a new stadium and wants to relocate. Nothing like that has been said about Miami, Baltimore or any other team, for reasons I've explained on here a number of times and won't repeat.

Any other team that wants to relocate before expansion will be in direct competition with MLB's expansion plans, and in effect will be asking the owners to approve a potential reduction in the amount that they all will get in their 1/30 share of expansion fees. Good luck to that team. 

I can see 4 or 5 AGMs that I would be happy with as a GM but I have not heard of a President that does much for me.  Just because the Angelos have interviewed President candidates does not mean 1)they have found some one they like or 2) he will come to the O's for whatever reason.

What if the AGM they really want is Mike Elias but he wants to wait to see if he gets the Giants  job.   That could hold things up.

I'd wait for the right guy if we are talking a 3 to 5 year job offer.

Impatience on the part of the fan base does not really figure into the decision process.  Because if they pick the right guys that the fan base can believe in then all will be forgiven no matter when it happens.

Archived