Hunter Harvey– RHP – 2018 - #7 Prospect

Tony-OH

Obviously pitching timing photos depend on the actual time the picture or video frame was taken. Saying that, it does appear on several photos that Hunter's arm is lagging behind where it should be at front foot strike. 

This always takes me back to my early days of doing the Hangout when former minor league pitching coach Dave Schueler would have the "perfect" mechanics on a series of pictures in his office. Who were the guys he had up there? Greg Maddux and Mike Mussina. Two guys with some long careers.

He always talked about loading the back shoulder and the proper arm position during front foot strike. Makes me wonder though if this is something the Orioles had Harvey working on since it's hard to believe one of their coaches didn't pick this up.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He has two remaining so they’ll have to keep him on the roster in 2021.

That seems like a lot of time then.  But as he pitched 62 innings total in the last 4 years I won't assume he will be healthy by then. 

Is there anyone in the system that can give the farm a bigger shot in the arm than Harvey? If this guy shows up healthy and pitches to his potential we all of a sudden have a TOR top 50 type prospect in our system that everyone had written off.

Wow, that was a fun day dream, back to reality....

28 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is there anyone in the system that can give the farm a bigger shot in the arm than Harvey? If this guy shows up healthy and pitches to his potential we all of a sudden have a TOR top 50 type prospect in our system that everyone had written off.

Wow, that was a fun day dream, back to reality....

I think we're talking more of a closer type than a TOR, but yes, he's got a very high ceiling if it all works and he can stay healthy. I'd have to see him sustaining his stuff at 90+ pitches and able to get through seven consistently before I start thinking TOR with him. I believe 85 pitches is the most pitches he's thrown in an appearance since his 2014 Delmarva season.

Archived