Luke’s 2018 Rule 5 Draft Preference List

Luke-OH

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read recently (sorry, can't recall where) that for Rule 5 guys, history shows those who return to AAA the following year just don't pan out. I wonder why? Is it psychological (like Vespi, disappointment)? Or those sent back are just the ones with not enough talent to stick? Which brings me to Santander, who seems to have fallen off the radar. Is he no longer a prospect, or is there still hope?

* Edit: Just saw the source for that point: J. J. Cooper:

"I’ve always said: Don’t draft a Rule 5 player with the thought that you will keep him that year and then send him back to the minors the next year. That usually doesn’t work." 

15 minutes ago, now said:

I read recently (sorry, can't recall where) that for Rule 5 guys, history shows those who return to AAA the following year just don't pan out. I wonder why? Is it psychological (like Vespi, disappointment)? Or those sent back are just the ones with not enough talent to stick? Which brings me to Santander, who seems to have fallen off the radar. Is he no longer a prospect, or is there still hope?

I am a huge Santander fan. He just struggled in an extended look. He gets really hot and really cold at the plate and needs to work on that.

1 hour ago, now said:

43 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I am a huge Santander fan. He just struggled in an extended look. He gets really hot and really cold at the plate and needs to work on that.

He also battled injuries once he was sent back down this season. I belive a knee injury then some type of infection caused him almost 3 months total. 

So FWIW JJ Cooper seems convinced that the Orioles are picking Richie Martin with the first pick, says he’s been hearing it from  a bunch of scouts (non-Orioles scouts). Now I’m at a loss to how other teams’ scouts know who the Orioles will pick so I’d take it with plenty of salt.

57 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So FWIW JJ Cooper seems convinced that the Orioles are picking Richie Martin with the first pick, says he’s been hearing it from  a bunch of scouts (non-Orioles scouts). Now I’m at a loss to how other teams’ scouts know who the Orioles will pick so I’d take it with plenty of salt.

It makes some sense to grab an accomplished MIF glove. If he’s more valuable than say, Breyvic Valera, why not? Cooper also wrote recently that Martin’s athleticism had slipped some since being drafted and he lost some range. Perhaps Brady has a plan there...? And there are several arms they could grab with the second pick. 

Here it is guys!   The Rule 5 draft!  I've been looking forward to this ALL YEAR, let me tell ya.  I just can't wait to see who the Orioles select and then read about how we found a "diamond in the rough."  There aren't too many days like this throughout the year!   Off the top of my head, Thanksgiving, Christmas (Hanukkah for my dad's side of the family and my fellow Jewish Orioles fans, L'Chaim!!), New Years Eve, Opening Day, July 4th, Labor Day Weekend, Memorial Day Weekend....I mean, the Rule 5 draft is right there!!  RIGHT THERE!! I'm going to be glued to my computer with anticipation.  

Think we can get a Roberto Clemente?  That's my favorite piece of Rule 5 trivia ever.  Did you know Roberto Clemente was a Rule 5 pick?  Don't let anyone tell you these Rule 5 picks are meaningless, we could get someone like Clemente!  Or maybe even Jose Bautista!  What about Johan Santana?  Wouldn't you be thrilled with someone like either one of those two?  I'd be elated with a Kelly Gruber type myself!

I even wrote a Rule 5 Haiku:

Rule Five I'm alive

Orioles happy pick first

Someone kill the pain

Roch had some tasty tidbits for us Rule 5 fans this morning.  I woke up early to read it:

As for today’s Rule 5 draft, Elias could again reach into his past and take someone from the Astros system such as right-handers Riley Ferrell and Cy Snead or shortstop Jonathan Arauz. Shortstop Richie Martin from the Athletics’ system also is a possibility if the Orioles pass on pitching.

The position could be a tie-breaker, but there are other factors.

“The Rule 5 draft is tricky, because they need to stay on the major league roster all year,” Elias said. “So, even when your approach is to go for the best talent available, which is our approach this year, you still have to be cognizant of, boy, can we keep this guy on the roster all year? And then you have to start thinking about things like position.

I don't know about you guys, I'm pushing all my chips to the middle of the table for Cy Snead!  Except Roch spelled it wrong, it's actually "Sneed."  Only a Rule 5 nut like myself would know that, I've been tracking him all offseason.   What a name!  And you guys know that Elias has deep organizational knowledge of the Astros system, I'm sure he's got good intel! 

Hold on for the ride, it's gonna be a good one!

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here it is guys!   The Rule 5 draft!  I've been looking forward to this ALL YEAR, let me tell ya.  I just can't wait to see who the Orioles select and then read about how we found a "diamond in the rough."  There aren't too many days like this throughout the year!   Off the top of my head, Thanksgiving, Christmas (Hanukkah for my dad's side of the family and my fellow Jewish Orioles fans, L'Chaim!!), New Years Eve, Opening Day, July 4th, Labor Day Weekend, Memorial Day Weekend....I mean, the Rule 5 draft is right there!!  RIGHT THERE!! I'm going to be glued to my computer with anticipation.  

Think we can get a Roberto Clemente?  That's my favorite piece of Rule 5 trivia ever.  Did you know Roberto Clemente was a Rule 5 pick?  Don't let anyone tell you these Rule 5 picks are meaningless, we could get someone like Clemente!  Or maybe even Jose Bautista!  What about Johan Santana?  Wouldn't you be thrilled with someone like either one of those two?  I'd be elated with a Kelly Gruber type myself!

I even wrote a Rule 5 Haiku:

Roch had some tasty tidbits for us Rule 5 fans this morning.  I woke up early to read it:

I don't know about you guys, I'm pushing all my chips to the middle of the table for Cy Snead!  Except Roch spelled it wrong, it's actually "Sneed."  Only a Rule 5 nut like myself would know that, I've been tracking him all offseason.   What a name!  And you guys know that Elias has deep organizational knowledge of the Astros system, I'm sure he's got good intel! 

Hold on for the ride, it's gonna be a good one!

I KNOW!!!!  It the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!  I woke the kids this morning and yelled HAPPY RULE 5 DAY!!!  I think my youngest just said an F word but don't worry, I am pretty sure it was probably "Get the Frobby outta here?!" and that would certainly be awesome.  But I have had Rule 5 carols playing all morning and for the record I am going to have to call you.on Sneed.  I will take the field.  Mostly because Elias will want to show off his ability to analyze other systems and also because Houston has probably threatened him about further thefts from their system.  

Anyway, everyone enjoy the Roching Rule 5 Festivities and let's let the rebuild begin!

It's beginning to look a lot like Rule 5, everywhere you go....

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

lol, Moose beat me to it.  Was about to make a similar post..........but not nearly as clever.   Well done.

Christmas comes early in Birdland!

Come one, come all dear Aglets! Don't hold back!   @foxfield is in the spirit!  

This is the day where the Orioles do their best offseason work!  This is what we play for!!!

Archived