Rumors and News

oriolediehard

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

A .300 OBP is well below average, but average is only .318 these days, .313 at 2B.    

You can make up for a below average OBP by having above average SLG.   League average is .416, .388 at 2B.    So in 2015-16 when Schoop was at .482 and .454, that was well above average, enough to carry his .306/.298 OBP. 

And of course, in 2017 he was an all star with both an OBP (.334) and SLG (.503) that were way above average for a 2B or at any other position really,

So, what it really comes down to is Schoop had an awful 2018 that really hurt his value.    If he’d merely slipped to 2015-16 levels, he wouldn’t have been non-tendered.

Let’s not forget that the Brewers traded a decent established player with more service time remaining than Schoop, plus two prospects, to get Schoop.    Obviously they didn’t think he was terrible.   But he laid an egg in Milwaukee and now he is where he is.    But I bet he’ll do fine as a free agent ($6 mm or more).   

I think this is a little bit of a sugar coated, glass half full take on Schoop. His career OPS+ is 98. He's been a below average hitter three of his five full seasons and one of those good years he only played 86 games (2015). I'm tempted to say he will be > 100 OPS+ if healthy in 2019, but he was 98 OPS+ in 2016 when he played the full year. Of course 2018 cratered his value, but baseball seems to be developing into a much harsher free agent environment for players like Schoop. It will be interesting to see what his next contract looks like. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the price is going to be that low.

I think that while the idea of signing guys and then flipping them is enticing I'm not at all sure it's practical practice.

I think it is like buying Bitcoin. Great if it works.  Probably won't. ANd how do you time it? There are no leading indicators. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They need high picks sure but I don't think the rebuild will fail if they pick third instead of first.

But surely you wouldn't advocate paying for someone like Schoop!?? That was the context of my reply to Number5. I agree that top three should be the goal and I'm not excited to see another historically bad team, but I think it would be really dumb to pay millions for a minor upgrade at 2B for 2019. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

But surely you wouldn't advocate paying for someone like Schoop!?? That was the context of my reply to Number5. I agree that top three should be the goal and I'm not excited to see another historically bad team, but I think it would be really dumb to pay millions for a minor upgrade at 2B for 2019. 

I've already stated he isn't a good fit for the team.

I was just commenting that the goal of the team shouldn't be to lose as many games as possible.

Ideally the young players come up and play well and they win 60 games.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

I don't think the "We are expected to be terrible, so we should do everything we can to make sure that we are" philosophy is a winning formula.  I'd rather make every effort to improve and find "market inefficiencies."  To each his own, I guess.

I agree, I personally don’t think Schoop is anything special and think they need better defense in the middle than he can provide though.

5 hours ago, thezeroes said:

He is a BUY LOW candidate that may be flipped at this or next years trade deadline.  His comfort is/was Baltimore and is young enough to build value IF the contract is in the $4 to $6 million range AAV for three years.  Thinking Luis Valbuena. 

Why would he comfortable in Baltimore?  All the coaches have changed.  Almost all the players are gone. Unless you think being around Chris Davis gives him confidence.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

And I think.Villar is the better player.  I dont believe in playing guys out of position again. I am not sure why people cant move on from guys.  The team was no worse with Schoop gone last season.  Historically bad with him and without him.  If we won 70 games last season you might want to keep some guys. But with 47 wins time to clear everyone out. Maybe whatever team that signs Manny can sign Schoop as well.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Actually, I do advocate paying a bargain price for someone like Schoop.  Perhaps not Schoop himself, but players that have shown some success, are young, and perhaps can break out.  I leave it to our new team of scouts, analysts, and decision-makers to find and determine which of those potential diamonds in the rough are worth taking a chance on.  One thing for certain is that players that everyone knows are stars and/or top prospects aren't going to be cheap.  So yes, I'd like the Orioles to be looking at guys like Schoop.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Actually, I do advocate paying a bargain price for someone like Schoop.  Perhaps not Schoop himself, but players that have shown some success, are young, and perhaps can break out.  I leave it to our new team of scouts, analysts, and decision-makers to find and determine which of those potential diamonds in the rough are worth taking a chance on.  One thing for certain is that players that everyone knows are stars and/or top prospects aren't going to be cheap.  So yes, I'd like the Orioles to be looking at guys like Schoop.

I know you do. I was asking Can of Corn. I totally disagree with you on Schoop, but I hear you. 

I don’t agree with Atomic often, but I do on this. I rooted hard for Schoop and enjoyed his good games with the Orioles, but he’s just not that good of a player. I also think the sign and flip deals rarely work out. Rarely. We remember a few exa,piles around the league, but most of the time the team that signs the, are just stuck with a mediocre player (or injured). 

On a 1 year deal we can offer Schoop more than any of the team in MLB in terms of rebuilding his value. Everyday ABs at 2nd. OPACY. He knows the league and pitchers. He’d likely hit 3rd or 4th, behind Mullins and Villar. 

I don’t think we should spend money on any FAs at the moment, but we are desperately thin at Middle Infield.  I’d take a chance on Schoop and a SP that is looking to rebuild value. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles should be IMO, and probably are looking at upgrading catcher. That’s a serious weak link that can affect pitchers, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got a half decent catcher this offseason. 

I would not think the Orioles intend to spend any money on catching this year. 

Archived