Josh Donaldson or Mike Moustakas?

Dark Helmet

37 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Maybe the two guys I named isn't feasable.  But yeah, that's the idea. I concede that Donaldson and Moustakas aren't the best examples.

The idea is fine if the contract is in the $3-7 million range, but how many guys like that can bring you one to two prospects that would worth that kind of dough? I just don't see it happening. 

The Orioles best chance at prospects at the trading deadline is if Bundy, Cobb or Givens have a great year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd much rather take a gamble with guys that would cost a lot less and maybe a two year deal for someone to put in the rotation.  Kinda like what was done with Evoldi.  Sign a guy that maybe out a year but can maybe bounce back the 2nd year and then be traded but won't be a huge chunk of money.  If Schoop gets non tendered he seems like a better option and is less money then the other two guys.  Give me Schoop at 2 years and 20 million contract over Donaldson for 1 year 20 million.

20 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I'd much rather take a gamble with guys that would cost a lot less and maybe a two year deal for someone to put in the rotation.  Kinda like what was done with Evoldi.  Sign a guy that maybe out a year but can maybe bounce back the 2nd year and then be traded but won't be a huge chunk of money.  If Schoop gets non tendered he seems like a better option and is less money then the other two guys.  Give me Schoop at 2 years and 20 million contract over Donaldson for 1 year 20 million.

I just skimmed the free agent list and I really didn't see any obvious buy low / sell high candidates. First base, in particular, is awful this year. Just a bunch of journey "old" men. 

1 hour ago, scbalt52 said:

Donaldson got 1/23 from Atlanta, I'm glad it wasn't us. Just no reason for it.

Seems like a crazy overpay for a guy who has been banged up a ton.

I do like the notion of signing a couple relievers with the intention of flipping them.

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

I do like the notion of signing a couple relievers with the intention of flipping them.

Not a bad idea. Good relievers are like gold these days. Lots of good names on that list. Cody Allen, in particular, might be a steal. 

Relief pitchers
Adam Ottavino (33 years old, 2.0 WAR)
Jeurys Familia (29, 1.8)
Joakim Soria (35, 1.8)
David Robertson (34, 1.5)
Craig Kimbrel (31, 1.5)
Jesse Chavez (35, 1.2)
Oliver Perez (37, 1.1)
Tony Sipp (35, 0.9)
Zach Duke (36, 0.9)
Brad Brach (33, 0.7)
Joe Kelly (31, 0.7)
Jordan Lyles (28, 0.6)
Sergio Romo (36, 0.5)
Jake Diekman (32, 0.5)
Justin Wilson (31, 0.5)
Tyler Clippard (34, 0.5)
Shawn Kelley (35, 0.5)
Andrew Miller (34, 0.4)
Kelvin Herrera (29,0.4)
Greg Holland (33, 0.3)
Tony Barnette (35, 0.3)
Aaron Loup (31, 0.3)
Adam Warren (31, 0.3)
John Axford (36, 0.2)
Bud Norris (34, 0.2)
Ryan Madson (38, 0.2)
Jeanmar Gomez (31, 0.2)
Zach Britton (31, 0.1)
Santiago Casilla (38, 0.1)
Carson Smith (29, 0.1)
Cody Allen (30, 0.0)
Jorge De La Rosa (38, 0.0)
Fernando Salas (34, 0.0)
Zach McAllister (31, 0.0)
Blake Wood (33, 0.0)
Daniel Hudson (32, -0.1)
Jerry Blevins (35, -0.1)
Matt Belisle (39, -0.2)
AJ Ramos (32, -0.2)
Hector Santiago (31, -0.2)
Jim Johnson (36, -0.3)
Randall Delgado (29, -0.3)
Boone Logan (34, -0.3)
Peter Moylan (40, -0.4)
Tim Collins (29, -0.4)
Junichi Tazawa (33, -0.5)
Brandon Maurer (28, -0.8)
Blaine Boyer (37, -0.9)
Josh Tomlin (34, -1.3)
David Phelps (32, N/A) -- Didn't appear in the Majors in 2018.
Joaquin Benoit (41, N/A) -- Didn't appear in the Majors in 2018.
Jandel Gustave (26, N/A) -- Didn't appear in the Majors in 2018.

53 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Really?  I thought it was a very smart move by Atlanta - getting a perenial all-star who was in the top 8 in MVP voting each year from 2013 through 2016 and 22nd in 2017 even though he played only 113 games.  A 1 year deal is perfect for them - then Riley gets another year to learn and Camargo becomes a super-sub.  They might even use Camargo and Culberson in RF rather than re-sign Markakis?  They're setting themselves up well for a WS run.     

55 minutes ago, Finisher said:

23 million is a lot, but, IMO, there's no such thing as a one year overpay...assuming that this contract doesn't prohibit them from doing other things this offseason and at the deadline in '19.  

I like your idea of flipping relievers, for sure.  

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

23 million is a lot, but, IMO, there's no such thing as a one year overpay...assuming that this contract doesn't prohibit them from doing other things this offseason and at the deadline in '19.  

I like your idea of flipping relievers, for sure.  

I think that is kinda the idea being posited by the OP.  The two guys might not be the best examples, but the idea of acquiring a couple/ few guys that could be flipped is a legit strategy and something teams do all the time.  Whether we are in that situation - carrying the Davis contract - trying to save/ diminish payroll, I'm not sure.  But relievers with upside would be cheaper to try the rationale out on, for sure.

20 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I think that is kinda the idea being posited by the OP.  The two guys might not be the best examples, but the idea of acquiring a couple/ few guys that could be flipped is a legit strategy and something teams do all the time.  Whether we are in that situation - carrying the Davis contract - trying to save/ diminish payroll, I'm not sure.  But relievers with upside would be cheaper to try the rationale out on, for sure.

I don't think that this is Atlanta's strategy in acquiring Donaldson.  They clearly believe that their "window" is now open and they are going it for it by signing Donaldson and McCann to one-year contracts to help them contend now.  Of course, if it fails and they are not in it come the trade deadline, they will certainly consider trading them, but they are in a completely different situation than we are.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't think that this is Atlanta's strategy in acquiring Donaldson.  They clearly believe that their "window" is now open and they are going it for it by signing Donaldson and McCann to one-year contracts to help them contend now.  Of course, if it fails and they are not in it come the trade deadline, they will certainly consider trading them, but they are in a completely different situation than we are.

It's a smart move for them to target players looking to reclaim their value. They can still "go for it," but keep their rebuild strategy largely in place. Getting Gausman was a great move too because it gave them an instant replacement for A.Sanchez. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sign or trade for another SP though. Lots of aces are rumored to be on the market (i.e., Syndergaard, deGrom, Bumgarner, Greinke, etc.) so I wouldn't fault them for going all in and trading for one. 

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the debate on the Donaldson signing... I was referring only to the strategy of "flipping" a player at the trade deadline.  Both Donaldson and Moustakis, to me, are not fits in the scenario the OP posted, but I do like the outside the box thinking tho... others clearly don't.  That's cool.  Donaldson getting 23M is not even remotely something I think this club would consider, nor should they at the moment.  Nor does the amount being paid to the guy indicate that the Braves would try a similar proposition of flipping him.  I'm with you, they like what he could provide and have paid him in the hope he does. 

I think the idea of flipping is a good one and potentially something that could be fruitful with a small investment.  Do we do it?  Probably not.  Maybe when we are on the verge and spending increases.  For now, I think we are in the poor-house and likely selling off pieces, not engaging in gambling.  I think we get a more quality player by devoting the money to infrastructure now.  But if we were going to do something of this nature, I think a gamble on a reliever would be more likely than on a former "front-line player."

Archived