Araujo Back to Cubs?

Aristotelian

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

According to thus article, he needed to be brought back up at the end of the season but DD & Co were asleep at the wheel and failed to do so. I hadn't seen anything on this. Can anyone confirm?

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2018/11/26/18108845/orioles-cubs-pedro-araujo-non-transaction

Clearly, the writer doesn't understand the rules.  Since he was on the DL, he is allowed to complete the required 90 days at the beginning of next season - if he isn't placed on the DL again with a lingering injury - to get the required time in.  He can then be optioned to the minors.  This is exactly what the O's did with Anthony Santander.  Unless I'm totally mistaken.

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

According to thus article, he needed to be brought back up at the end of the season but DD & Co were asleep at the wheel and failed to do so. I hadn't seen anything on this. Can anyone confirm?

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2018/11/26/18108845/orioles-cubs-pedro-araujo-non-transaction

The assumption of the article is that the Orioles won’t put Araujo on the major league roster for the 16 days necessary at the start of the 2019 season.    Given our history with Santander, I don’t know why the author would assume that.     We’ll hold him for the 16 days and that will be that.  

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Clearly, the writer doesn't understand the rules.  Since he was on the DL, he is allowed to complete the required 90 days at the beginning of next season - if he isn't placed on the DL again with a lingering injury - to get the required time in.  He can then be optioned to the minors.  This is exactly what the O's did with Anthony Santander.  Unless I'm totally mistaken.

The writer understands the rules.   He just seems to think we could have avoided putting him on the roster for 16 days next year by calling him back up for the final 16 days of 2018, plus he seems to think we won’t put him on the roster for the requisite 16 days next year.   That seems like a flawed assumption, unless Mike Elias simply doesn’t like what he sees in Araujo.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The writer understands the rules.   He just seems to think we could have avoided putting him on the roster for 16 days next year by calling him back up for the final 16 days of 2018, plus he seems to think we won’t put him on the roster for the requisite 16 days next year.   That seems like a flawed assumption, unless Mike Elias simply doesn’t like what he sees in Araujo.   

You can't activate some one that is injured.  That was the case with Araujo in September.   This writer ignores that fact.  Here is Roch's blog with Buck stating that Araujo will not be activated for the rest of the 2018 season because he is still injured.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/notes-on-araujo-tonights-game-and-bad-start-to-trip.html

Whether Araujo is kept on the 25 man roster for 17 more days next season is up to Elias.   Seem pretty likely to me.

Araujo never spent even one game rehabbing in the minors in 2018.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You can't activate some one that is injured.  That was the case with Araujo in September.   This writer ignores that fact.  Here is Roch's blog with Buck stating that Araujo will not be activated for the rest of the 2018 season because he is still injured.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/notes-on-araujo-tonights-game-and-bad-start-to-trip.html

Whether Araujo is kept on the 25 man roster for 17 more days next season is up to Elias.   Seem pretty likely to me.

Thanks. The way the writer portrayed it was that the Os were incompetent. O figured someone on this board would have pointed it out if that was the case.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don’t think the writer did his homework on what happened with Araujo.   Or maybe he thinks the O’s could have just brazenly activated Araujo and stuck him on the bench even though he wasn’t healthy and hadn’t pitched in months.  

FWIW, Araujo is pitching in the Dominican Winter League and is off to a nice start: 9.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 14 K’s.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You're right, he did include a sentence saying that he doubted the Orioles would carry Araujo for the two and a half weeks needed to option him.  I can't imagine that we are so desperate for a 25 man spot for 16 days that we would let him go after carrying him on the roster a large chunk of last year.

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You're right, he did include a sentence saying that he doubted the Orioles would carry Araujo for the two and a half weeks needed to option him.  I can't imagine that we are so desperate for a 25 man spot for 16 days that we would let him go after carrying him on the roster a large chunk of last year.

It still boils down to whether Elias and crew think he can be a decent major league pitcher.    If they decide he isn’t and offer him back to the Cubs, so be it.    But I agree it’s doubtful.    

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the writer did his homework on what happened with Araujo.   Or maybe he thinks the O’s could have just brazenly activated Araujo and stuck him on the bench even though he wasn’t healthy and hadn’t pitched in months.  

FWIW, Araujo is pitching in the Dominican Winter League and is off to a nice start: 9.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 14 K’s.

Its takes a medical release to activate someone from the DL.   The union would be all over it if a club tried to activate a guy that is still injured.

We will likely keep Arajuo on the roster for 16 days but looking at the young relievers is he that much better than any of them,

Scott, Fry, Yacabonis, Yefry, Carrol, Phillips, Meisenger

I think it’s hard for a reliever when their best pitch is a changeup.  The fastball didn’t seem good enough for him to set up the CU.  The guy has a pretty low ceiling.  True he will have three options, but what good is that if younger players are better.  Look at Jason Garcia.  

Archived