Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Last night hunter and Palmer both were complaining about how the umpire was calling balls on all the close pitches. Palmer specifically mentioned bad framing. Watching Sisco catch is weird. He snatches at the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him. Framing is a real skill whether one acknowledges it or not, and yes a good framer will help a pitcher. I’m not seeing anything from Sisco that indicates his offense will compensate for his defense. Right now it is only frustrating, but more frustrating is the growing realization that Sisco was probably a wasted pick.

If you think a second round pick that has made the majors can be considered a wasted pick you need to learn more about how the draft works.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Chance is stepping up to get the whipping boy treatment. It's a heavy yoke.

I'd rather him get a "chance" now and split time with Severino in a wasted couple of season's before he gets labeled as a non catcher.

The clock is ticking once Adley gets signed. I want to see Chance hit enough that he can be viable at another position.

I'd like to see them try Sisco at 2nd or 3rd. They have no real prospects at those positions so it would help the rebuild if he proved he could handle one of those.

I think he'll hit enough but he costs them games behind the dish and Severino is emerging.  

Game calling and framing aside, his throws have been awful and so have his mental lapses. His 1 "caught stealing" was from the runner sliding off the base and has 3 errors so far. One probably should of been on Villar for missing the catch too, but the throw was also poor, along with his "tag him high" play in Oakland.

I don't know if I would try him at 3rd with his throwing.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Last night hunter and Palmer both were complaining about how the umpire was calling balls on all the close pitches. Palmer specifically mentioned bad framing. Watching Sisco catch is weird. He snatches at the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him. Framing is a real skill whether one acknowledges it or not, and yes a good framer will help a pitcher. I’m not seeing anything from Sisco that indicates his offense will compensate for his defense. Right now it is only frustrating, but more frustrating is the growing realization that Sisco was probably a wasted pick.

Sucre was a good framer.  Lot of difference it made.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:28 AM, eddie83 said:

He has looked very poor behind the plate. Palmer basically called him out multiple times last night. He doesn’t frame well and his pitch selection. ScOtt said Olson had something to say about pitch selection as well.  

The team has a 4.99 ERA when Sisco catches and 6.20 when Severino catches, 5.64 for Wynns and 5.94 for Sucre.    Last year Sisco was at 5.02 while Joseph was at 5.00 and Wynns 6.02.   CERA is notoriously noisy, but I’ve seen zero evidence that Sisco’s pitch calling, framing etc. has hurt our pitchers.   (Well, maybe not zero evidence, let’s just say I’m not convinced it’s a major issue.)

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The team has a 4.99 ERA when Sisco catches and 6.20 when Severino catches, 5.64 for Wynns and 5.94 for Sucre.    Last year Sisco was at 5.02 while Joseph was at 5.00 and Wynns 6.02.   CERA is notoriously noisy, but I’ve seen zero evidence that Sisco’s pitch calling, framing etc. has hurt our pitchers.

I have spoken to a few people in baseball who think the whole pitch calling thing is overrated. You have a good pitching staff and the catchers call good games. Do you think the Nationals catchers call a good game only when the starters are in the game?  Many teams switch their catchers many times and still they have good or bad ERA's. The Dodgers changed their catchers this year and have the best ERA in the majors. Tampa is second and they change the people catching almost every year.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:03 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Game calling and framing aside, his throws have been awful and so have his mental lapses. His 1 "caught stealing" was from the runner sliding off the base and has 3 errors so far. One probably should of been on Villar for missing the catch too, but the throw was also poor, along with his "tag him high" play in Oakland.

I don't know if I would try him at 3rd with his throwing.

While I don't mean to excuse any of his lapses or errors, I would also caution against reading too much into them.  I can see a situation in which some of this is just growing pains as he continues to develop as a catcher at the MLB level.  I imagine there's a million things going on in his head and hopefully the game will slow down a bit as he gets more comfortable.

17 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

While I don't mean to excuse any of his lapses or errors, I would also caution against reading too much into them.  I can see a situation in which some of this is just growing pains as he continues to develop as a catcher at the MLB level.  I imagine there's a million things going on in his head and hopefully the game will slow down a bit as he gets more comfortable.

They've also been historically bad at preventing runs with "good" defensive catchers Pedro Severino and Jesus Sucre. Does catching defense really matter that much at this point? How many more runs are they going to give up due to Sisco's "bad" pitch selection and defense compared to Severino or Sucre or Wynns or some other catcher?