Machado Trade Revisited. What If...

wildbillhiccup

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deadspin - The D-Backs Dealt Goldschmidt for Peanuts

Two ways to look at this.  Either you think the Orioles package is still worse and it makes what they got for Manny look really bad.

Or you look at the package the Cardinals sent and realize you were overvaluing it and the Orioles return was really not so far off and may have been better.

Time will ultimately tell, but I don't see the overvaluation of the OP personally.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The Cardinals are getting Goldschmidt for a whole year vs two months and post season of Machado. Why shouldn't they get a better return? Last I checked Goldschmidt is a six time All-star, four time silver slugger, and 3 times gold glover who has been worth 40.1 over seven seasons. 

The Orioles got two potential (55) players in Diaz and Kremer for two months of Machado. Not to mention Pop and Bannon who could end up providing value as well. Now I just looked at the return for Goldschmidt and although Kelly and Weaver would be good adds, i'm trying for the life of me to see why you think these guys are so much better than Diaz/Kremer?

Kelly has struggled in three short trials with the Cardinals and although I like the plate discipline, his career .255/.324/.380/.704 in the minors doesn't scream star in the majors.

Weaver is a guy with a league average fastball, an average changeup, and a curveball that doesn['t get a lot of swings and misses. He'll mix a cutter in once in awhile but it's not a difference maker. He seems to have some pitchability by staying on the edges of the strike zone (42.2% vs League average is 39%).

Looking at all the stats and peripherals, he looks like a 4th starter for me more than a potential TOR. 

Kremer to me is probably a 3rd-4th starter though he could keep developing like he did last season and end up better. Diaz looks like a good bet to be solid major league corner outfielder. I'll take Pop or Bannon over Andy Young (the 37th round pick who was 24-years old in A-ball last year).

I think the returns are fairly equal but even if you like the Diamondbacks return better, it's not significantly better and they got a full year of an All-star difference maker for their lineup vs a two-month rental.

Plus, the Cardinals get a pick. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Take that back, I was right. After all. He said beat this. 

image.png.425b3ef684a3ac12ef68ca2e11f1f705.png

I just meant that he didn’t leave St. Louis.    Not that he signed without testing free agency.    I think Goldschmidt will test FA as well, but I do like the Cards’ chances to retain him if they want to.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just meant that he didn’t leave St. Louis.    Not that he signed without testing free agency.    I think Goldschmidt will test FA as well, but I do like the Cards’ chances to retain him if they want to.   

I thought they were discussing the foregone conclusion that he auto extends. 

Archived