O’s claim 3B Rio Ruiz

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Actually, looking at his analytics numbers, he actually grades out pretty well with quality of pitches. His biggest issue was his well below average ability to pitch around the edge of the zone and the fact he only threw his slider for a strike 42% of the time.

Basically the analytics confirmed my scouting of him that his stuff din't drop off, but rather his command was his issue last year.

The Braves were fairly high on Ruiz when they traded for him a few years ago, then he did poorly, but he rebounded some.  I think they liked his overall potential more than Jace Peterson's and wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Nunez in Spring Training.    

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The Braves were fairly high on Ruiz when they traded for him a few years ago, then he did poorly, but he rebounded some.  I think they liked his overall potential more than Jace Peterson's and wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Nunez in Spring Training.    

And that's  Ruzious on Rio Ruiz!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Nunez actually was pretty decent for us. I don’t see it as Ruiz v. Nunez, but rather there is room for both if we could deal Trumbo. Ruiz having an option buys us some time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nunez actually was pretty decent for us. I don’t see it as Ruiz v. Nunez, but rather there is room for both if we could deal Trumbo. Ruiz having an option buys us some time. 

No doubt Nunez is the favorite and has shown more with the bat than Ruiz has, but I think the O's probably should be weighting defense a bit higher than usual next season, and I think Ruiz has the advantage there - because of his hands and arm.  Fwiw, Fangraphs had him as the Braves #2 prospect in 2015.   https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-atlanta-braves/ 

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

No doubt Nunez is the favorite and has shown more with the bat than Ruiz has, but I think the O's probably should be weighting defense a bit higher than usual next season, and I think Ruiz has the advantage there - because of his hands and arm.  Fwiw, Fangraphs had him as the Braves #2 prospect in 2015.   https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-atlanta-braves/ 

I agree. Nunez is a bat first player that put up the necessary stats to warrant consideration. We really have Davis, Trumbo, Mancini, and Nunez as 1B/DH types. Nunez and Mancini, won’t see consistent time at DH/1B until we at least get rid of Trumbo. 

We have some OF bats that are “ready” and need to play in Stewart and Mullins. Mancini likely plays until one of the other guys is. Hopefully Trumbo gets off to one of his traditional fast starts and we can deal him ASAP. Elias would be a wizard if he can dump him before OD. 

10 hours ago, Ruzious said:

At worse Ruiz is now competition for Nunez at 3B. Competition is good and although I'm not sold on either of these guys as a long term solution at 3B, these are the kinds of guys you want to have in your organization because they have upside and just need time to play at the major league level in order to really determine their worth.