A look back: top 10 prospects from 2011

weams

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think a lot of these lists come out just before the season, rather than just after.   Or at least, they used to.   

Most lists initially come out in the October-November time frame. I believe some update preseason, but to me, it's more about getting page views or selling magazines than providing any real value. Besides instructional League and the few that go to the AFL, what significant changes occur between end of season and the beginning of the next that changes prospect status?

I would argue very little.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Most lists initially come out in the October-November time frame. I believe some update preseason, but to me, it's more about getting page views or selling magazines than providing any real value. Besides instructional League and the few that go to the AFL, what significant changes occur between end of season and the beginning of the next that changes prospect status?

I would argue very little.

Trades.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 9:25 PM, Rustbelt said:

This 2009 list looks more interesting... unfortunately.

1) Matt Wieters, C, Grade A: Best prospect in baseball. Mutant cross between Mauer and Piazza.
2) Chris Tillman, RHP, Grade B+: Want to see sharper command, but I’m very impressed overall, especially given his age.
3) Brian Matusz, LHP, Grade B+: Not David Price, but should advance quickly due to sharp command of solid stuff.
4) Jake Arrieta, RHP, Grade B+: Very high ceiling, command still an issue at times, but can dominate.
5) Brandon Erbe, RHP, Grade B: Made progress after difficult ’07 season. Double-A transition critical. 
6) Nolan Reimold, OF, Grade B-: A bit old for a prospect now, but power bat should carry forward.
7) Zach Britton, LHP, Grade B-: Love the groundballs this guy gets, young, good stuff, a sleeper.
? Brandon Snyder, 1B, Grade B-: Horrible glove, but bat took a big step forward last year. 
9) David Hernandez, RHP, Grade B-: I still think people are underrating this guy. Needs to lower walks.
10) Troy Patton, LHP, Grade C+: If health reports are accurate, he should rebound. Useful pitcher but not likely a star.

Erbe let me down more than any prospect in the last 20 years, I had a deep belief in the powers of the Erb. At one point I believe he went 60 innings without allowing a ball to the fence — I knew that meant he was destined for greatness, I was leading the Erbe hype in Washington DC, it was a wild time to be alive. 

I’m relatively certain he only allowed 3 or 4 home runs in his first 180 innings of professional baseball while striking out 12+ per 9. 

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder, what "Top 10 list" had the greatest success?

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Do you mean what team’s top 10 or which version of the Orioles top 10?

Assuming he means which OH top 10, I think it would depend how you’re defining success.  Highest total WAR?  Highest WAR with the Orioles?  Highest percentage of players who made the majors?   

The post-2008 season list started off Wieters-Matusz-Tillman-Arrieta.   I’m relatively certain that Britton also was on that list.   That would probably be the most successful group.    

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Do you mean what team’s top 10 or which version of the Orioles top 10?

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Assuming he means which OH top 10, I think it would depend how you’re defining success.  Highest total WAR?  Highest WAR with the Orioles?  Highest percentage of players who made the majors?   

The post-2008 season list started off Wieters-Matusz-Tillman-Arrieta.   I’m relatively certain that Britton also was on that list.   That would probably be the most successful group.    

Yes, I meant the Orioles.

Either WAR or biggest group to impact the Orioles (even if the overall WAR wasn't the highest.)

On 12/23/2018 at 8:21 PM, Frobby said:

No way.  Any group without Machado won't win.

He was by far the best player to come off our farm since Cal Ripken.

Archived