Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I went back through old threads.  This Friday, December 14, will be the 10 year anniversary of the Steelers@Ravens game that was rumored to have one Mark Teixeira in attendance.   

I hear Teixeira grew up a Steeler fan and his favorite player was Neil O'Donnell.

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

1 WAR = 8.5 million. Doesnt seam to be a bad deal.

5 years the WAR was at least 3.4 and  one of those was a 5+

206 HR, 622 RBIs, .822 Slugging.

No, not a huge overpay

All big free agents are an overpay when you have a 68-win baseline and a farm system made out of Play Dough and bailing wire. Why on earth would you pay $8.5M for each of wins 69-73?

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Reporter = impartial. He's as much of a reporter as a person who hosts a paid infomercial for a product. You'd be better off using a term like public relations to describe his role. 

How do you envision this working in practice?  Is Roch given written handouts on a semi-regular basis?  Sitdown meetings?  A formal list of topics that are off-limits tacked to his wall?  I suspect there is an understanding between him and MASN concerning the limits of his role and nothing more.  That understanding may not even be completely explicit.  That's a far cry from informercial huckster or PR flak.

A newspaper reporter's presumed impartiality is all well and good but above him is an editor, above him an editorial board and standards and practices and legal and above them the publisher who in this day and age is probably owned by a corporation.  Many, many opportunities to insert bias in that structure as well.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

All big free agents are an overpay when you have a 68-win baseline and a farm system made out of Play Dough and bailing wire. Why on earth would you pay $8.5M for each of wins 69-73?

I am missing your point here.

He was signed in 2009, and the Orioles were trying to rebuild and they did, wasn't it 2012 when they got back to the playoffs?

35 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think maybe  a lot or the people that you classify as "reporters" are really bloggers and tweeters in search of clicks.  A true reporter has certain responsibilities, including confirmation with another source.  The water has been very much muddied as far as how we get and perceive "news."  

I am not a reporter.

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

How do you envision this working in practice?  Is Roch given written handouts on a semi-regular basis?  Sitdown meetings?  A formal list of topics that are off-limits tacked to his wall?  I suspect there is an understanding between him and MASN concerning the limits of his role and nothing more.  That understanding may not even be completely explicit.  That's a far cry from informercial huckster or PR flak.

A newspaper reporter's presumed impartiality is all well and good but above him is an editor, above him an editorial board and standards and practices and legal and above them the publisher who in this day and age is probably owned by a corporation.  Many, many opportunities to insert bias in that structure as well.

Roch is absolutely a reporter that works directly for the company that carries the Orioles and Nationals. And is owned primarily by Orioles owners. 

14 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Moreso now than at any time in our recent history. Blogging personalized that bias. Roch is a reporter, a trained journalist,  that writes a daily Blog. 

28 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am missing your point here.

He was signed in 2009, and the Orioles were trying to rebuild and they did, wasn't it 2012 when they got back to the playoffs?

That's exactly right.  Why would you pay into a declining free agent, siphoning off dollars that could go to development, so that just when you're going to get good he's likely to be in steep decline?

You buy free agents to push you over the top in a rebuild.  You don't buy $180M players so that you can win 75 instead of 70 during the rebuild.  Not unless you have way more money than you know what do with, and in that case you're not really rebuilding at all.

From 2012-on Teixeira had one very good year, one okay year, and three miserable years.   And in '12 the O's got Teixeira-like production from both Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis for a fraction of the cost.

Archived