COACHES

Richmond Bird 9

Does anyone know if either MLB and or the Players Assoc keeps a list of available ex-players and or coachers looking for jobs ? It is a little late in the season to hire coaches and if you take one from another team then they are looking for a replacement.

For the O's I would like to see Bobby Dickerson as bench coach (knows the team and the league). I think Jim Hickey is available (worked one year with Hyde with the Cubs and former Rays P/C).

3 hours ago, weams said:

I think that there is a wealth of opportunities here for minor league personnel that can move to the big leagues without the immediate pressure of winning as a job evaluation. 

I'd love to see them give Gary Kendell an opportunity with the big league staff.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'd love to see them give Gary Kendell an opportunity with the big league staff.

Is it just me, or do the Orioles have a rather thin record of promoting coaches from within? I feel like there's always 2 or 3 guys we say this about each time there's a vacancy, and no one ever gets promoted.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have a feeling he will end up in AAA for the Birds.

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is it just me, or do the Orioles have a rather thin record of promoting coaches from within? I feel like there's always 2 or 3 guys we say this about each time there's a vacancy, and no one ever gets promoted.

Which maybe a reason Johnson left the org. No shot at going up and new front office.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Johnson also was a Buck guy. The Buck guys have mostly been weeded out.

Not that he’s necessarily a Buck guy, but I guess Mike Griffin survived as Norfolk’s pitching coach.   I think he’s been there 10 seasons, and at Bowie before that (he had Tillman, Bergesen, Hernandez and Berken all excel there in ‘08).    Lots of our young pitchers have praised him over the years, but it feels like we’ve rarely had guys who transitioned from AAA to the majors smoothly.    So, I’m a little surprised he escaped the bloodletting.   

9 hours ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Does anyone know if either MLB and or the Players Assoc keeps a list of available ex-players and or coachers looking for jobs ? It is a little late in the season to hire coaches and if you take one from another team then they are looking for a replacement.

For the O's I would like to see Bobby Dickerson as bench coach (knows the team and the league). I think Jim Hickey is available (worked one year with Hyde with the Cubs and former Rays P/C).

The new manager should be able to choose his bench coach.  The purpose of the bench coach is to assist the manager.  You can't force a bench coach on to a manager it would defeat the whole purpose of having one. 

Archived