Stop with the Analytics Questions

baltfan

Jeez, I have watched multiple MASN interviews with Elias and Sig.  stop asking, “How important is analytics.”  Asked and answered. 

How about these questions:

How do you go about filling out a scouting and coaching staff this late in the season?

How many scouts do you believe you need? 

What parts of the farm system do you believe need the most work?

Is there someone you are looking to have work with Davis?

has Bobby Dickerson been considered to stay in the organization?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

LOL, I hear you, brother.    Besides, the questions about analytics are so general that the answers are meaningless.    That said, the answers to your questions would probably be very vague, too.

The questions make it obvious the askers are people who have no idea what baseball analytics entail.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

The questions make it obvious the askers are people who have no idea what baseball analytics entail.

There was a fairly hilarious discussion on Wall to Wall Baseball a couple of weeks ago where Tom Davis was asking Jim Duquette to explain analytics.   Talk about the blind leading the blind, deaf and dumb!   (Sorry for the non-PC references to various impairments, but I needed them to make my point.)

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There was a fairly hilarious discussion on Wall to Wall Baseball a couple of weeks ago where Tom Davis was asking Jim Duquette to explain analytics.   Talk about the blind leading the blind, deaf and dumb!   (Sorry for the non-PC references to various impairments, but I needed them to make my point.)

I was listening to a 2080 baseball podcast where they interviewed Joe McIlvaine who was employed by the Orioles as Senior Advisor Player Personnel and is a former GM.

Im sure he’s a good guy and a smart baseball man, but it was painfully obvious that the game has long passed him by.

Analytics likely played a large part in one Tanner being traded for another tonight.  How many baseball trades have involved one Tanner for another? .   And on some level, did a GM on one side or the other just say...”you know what, to heck with the analytics, I just like Tanner for Tanner trades”.   Roark for Rainey..lol. 

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Reminds me of the time when Roch tried to explain to Tom Davis what a blog was. I'd put money on it that he still has no idea.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

LOL, I hear you, brother.    Besides, the questions about analytics are so general that the answers are meaningless.    That said, the answers to your questions would probably be very vague, too.

You are probably right but at least it would be a chance to hear something different.  

These are the analytics questions I would like to see answered:

- How many people do you intend to hire into the Analytics group under Sig?  How many do we have now?  How long until we expect to have all positions in the group hired?

- Will you attempt to first re-create the databases of information you had in Houston?  Approximately how many databases/systems of analysis will you try to re-create?  What systems are they (assuming one database/system for draft prospects, one for minor leaguers and one for major leaguers and perhaps a database/system of information to point out weaknesses/strengths of our players and opposing players?  How long will it take to get each system/database in place?  Most generally, how long until you will have the same information at your fingertips as the GM had in Houston?

9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

These are the analytics questions I would like to see answered:

- How many people do you intend to hire into the Analytics group under Sig?  How many do we have now?  How long until we expect to have all positions in the group hired?

- Will you attempt to first re-create the databases of information you had in Houston?  Approximately how many databases/systems of analysis will you try to re-create?  What systems are they (assuming one database/system for draft prospects, one for minor leaguers and one for major leaguers and perhaps a database/system of information to point out weaknesses/strengths of our players and opposing players?  How long will it take to get each system/database in place?  Most generally, how long until you will have the same information at your fingertips as the GM had in Houston?

I’m sure they wouldn’t answer these.   Realistically, I’m guessing it takes two full years to really build out the analytics infrastructure.    

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure they wouldn’t answer these.   Realistically, I’m guessing it takes two full years to really build out the analytics infrastructure.    

I heard it stated that we had job listings for seven analytic positions.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would expect it to take much less time - six to eight months.  These guys have done it before.  I don't know the subscriptions or data or computers that might need to be purchased and I am sure there is proprietary coding to be done, but these guys have already been on the cutting edge and I expect they could re-create a large chuck of what they had relatively quickly. 

Now, it may be two years before the Os are considered to be a leading edge analytics group, but I expect our analytics group should be able to contribute significantly to the 2019 draft process and to provide strengths/weaknesses to our major leaguers as well as opposing player weaknesses/tendencies in 2019 as well.

Archived