O's trade international bonus pool money for SS Drew Jackson

interloper

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is money for the July 2, 2017 - July 1, 2019 cycle, correct?   And like 98% of the good eligible players from that cycle are already signed?   The last administration waited too long to spend their money, so Elias is making what use he can of it.   

This is the 2nd time the Phillies asked for more money.  So while we may not make it through 6 mill, clearly at least they see some guys still out there.

It would make sense that it's not priority 1 with a manager needed, winter meetings happening, I'd like to think we'll still spend some of it on actual international players.

2 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

This is the 2nd time the Phillies asked for more money.  So while we may not make it through 6 mill, clearly at least they see some guys still out there.

It would make sense that it's not priority 1 with a manager needed, winter meetings happening, I'd like to think we'll still spend some of it on actual international players.

Maybe, maybe not. It will be fun to see how much teams really spend during this signing period...if that is available without a ton of leg work. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Phillies sure think they can spend some.

Sorry, until I see proof to the contrary I'm going to believe that ownership has capped International spending.  It explains Zoellner, it explains the low ball VVM offer and it explains Elias trading away slot money.  We had three different folks in charge and the constant was ownership.

Back to Jackson in this thread. 

20 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Maybe, maybe not. It will be fun to see how much teams really spend during this signing period...if that is available without a ton of leg work. 

Why pick Jackson in the Rule 5 for 100K, then trade for a chance to use money that you don't have a plan to spend? 

If the Phillies don't use the money, they literally bought a player for us...that would seem really weird to me. 

2 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Why pick Jackson in the Rule 5 for 100K, then trade for a chance to use money that you don't have a plan to spend? 

If the Phillies don't use the money, they literally bought a player for us...that would seem really weird to me. 

The Orioles also sent the Phillies cash.  Undoubtedly an amount equal to or more than the 100K.  No risk deal for the Phillies.  My guess is it was pre-arranged that if Jackson was still there when the Phillies picked, they would take him and trade him to the Orioles.  This way, the Orioles get the guy they want and don't have to sweat out the rest of round 1.  These kinds of deals are not all that unusual.  It would be unusual for the Phillies to trade a player they picked because they really wanted him for international bonus money slots when all of the coveted international free agents in a given allotment year are already signed.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Would be tough to spend all the pool money at this point, no use crying over spilled milk. Assume this is likely a straight spring training competition, would be tough to carry both Rule 5 middle infielders 

Why ?? One could be your Utility guy and the other you SS

Archived