Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Can't say I'm excited; we got 2 solid defensive infielders who probably can't hit MLB pitching.  Adding them to Ruiz... well, maybe we get lucky and one of them exceeds expectations.  

I think it’s safe to say Elias thinks our infield needs some shoring up.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s safe to say Elias thinks our infield needs some shoring up.

And it appears it will be shored up in a very cheap manner by plucking two respectable prospects who have each played a full season in AA.  We'll see how it works out.  I think you have to give our GM the benefit of the doubt in terms of strategy.  These are not failed prospects, but guys with quality defense and late blooming bats.

I think adding Martin, Jackson and Ruiz represents a decent uptick in organizational talent this week.

Of the three infielders we've picked up in the last week, I don't expect any of them to be with the team in three years, but the most important thing (to me, anyway) is to have good defenders to support the young pitchers. You can never tell how good a young pitcher is when you're giving outs away. Also, it makes it easier to trade Villar before opening day if a decent offer comes along.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Can't say I'm excited; we got 2 solid defensive infielders who probably can't hit MLB pitching.  Adding them to Ruiz... well, maybe we get lucky and one of them exceeds expectations.  

Considering expectations at this early stage of the rebuild - getting a 1.5-2 win player out of any of them would be gravy, really.

34 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I hadn’t heard that, but he definitely has an absolute cannon arm. Check out some of these throws.

You don’t see that type of arm action with infielders very often anymore.  Most guys drop down some.   Of course, J.J. was over the top

29 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Any sense of where either of them would slot into our system?

We have had that discussion on Martin.

The A's have him at #12.  The A's farm system is better than the O's system.  So he could be higher in the O's system.  He could be as high as #7.

Tony's take was 15th.

Luke said he would be in the 20's.  

Tony/Luke's current prospect list has Grenier at #23.

MLB.com has Grenier as the O's 9th prospect.

Its anyone guess whether Grenier or Martin will be better. Martin was drafted in the first round, 20th pick.  Grenier 1st round 37th pick.   What we do know is that Martin played last season at AA and Grenier at low A ball.

Jackson is the Dodgers #19 prospect.  Dodgers system is consider better than the O's system.  He was drafted on the 5th round by the Mariners.  He played at AA last season.

Something that should be noted is that the mlb.com O's prospect list and  Tony/ Luke's list are very different.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We have had that discussion on Martin.

The A's have him at #12.  The A's farm system is better than the O's system.  So he could be higher in the O's system.  He could be as high as #7.

Tony's take was 15th.

Luke said he would be in the 20's.  

Tony's current prospect list has Grenier at #23.

Its anyone guess whether Grenier or Martin will be better. Martin was drafted in the first round, 20th pick.  Grenier 1st round 37th pick.   What we do know is that Martin played last season at AA and Grenier at low A ball.

Jackson is the Dodgers #19 prospect.  Dodgers system is consider better than the O's system.  He was drafted on the 5th round.  He played at AA last season.

I’d take Zach Pop over either any day of the week and I’m sure the vast majority of the 30 teams would agree. But regardless, we don’t need to speculate on where pipeline would rank them, they updated the Orioles list to include Martin and Jackson. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I’d take Zach Pop over either any day of the week and I’m sure the vast majority of the 30 teams would agree. But regardless, we don’t need to speculate on where pipeline would rank them, they updated the Orioles list to include Martin and Jackson. 

So MLB Pipeline has Martin at #13 and Jackson at #24.    Tony/Luke's list has Pop at #16. So you  would have Martin lower that #16?

• Upvote 1