2019 Season Tickets

Going Underground

I've had season tickets in the past as recently as 2011 and my family had season tickets at Camden Yards from 1992 to 1997. Unless you root for a perennial playoff contender and want first priority for playoff tickets, or first crack at opening day tickets, you aren't saving money with a season ticket package (on tickets). I have been able to purchase opening day tickets directly from the Orioles (without a season ticket package) for the last several years with no issues. This wasn't always the case, but the last few seasons plenty of OD tickets have been available the week of the game for the general public.

Before the internet and the average fan either walked up to the gate the day of the game, bought tickets from a scalper or friend, (bought 1996 ALCS tickets from the Wash Post classified ads--we lost, thanks Strawberry), or bought into a season ticket package.

The smart phone era has changed everything for the fan ticket buying experience. I can go on apps such as StubHb almost up to game time and find seats for cheaper than the season ticket price (yes, with SH fees included) nearly 100 percent of the games I attend. It's gotten even easier to do with the recent advent of the paperless ticket, fans no longer have to be tied to a computer or a printer. I think the average price I paid for upper deck tickets with fees the last few years was around nine or ten bucks. I've also sat in the lower level between the dugouts for $35 (SH fees included) or less on many, many occasions. It's not just the Orioles, it's spectator sports in general.

I'll keep attending games ad-hoc, weather permitting, skip the time it takes to swap out/exchange season tickets, and still come out ahead.

17 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

I've had season tickets in the past as recently as 2011 and my family had season tickets at Camden Yards from 1992 to 1997. Unless you root for a perennial playoff contender and want first priority for playoff tickets, or first crack at opening day tickets, you aren't saving money with a season ticket package (on tickets). I have been able to purchase opening day tickets directly from the Orioles (without a season ticket package) for the last several years with no issues. This wasn't always the case, but the last few seasons plenty of OD tickets have been available the week of the game for the general public.

Before the internet and the average fan either walked up to the gate the day of the game, bought tickets from a scalper or friend, (bought 1996 ALCS tickets from the Wash Post classified ads--we lost, thanks Strawberry), or bought into a season ticket package.

The smart phone era has changed everything for the fan ticket buying experience. I can go on apps such as StubHb almost up to game time and find seats for cheaper than the season ticket price (yes, with SH fees included) nearly 100 percent of the games I attend. It's gotten even easier to do with the recent advent of the paperless ticket, fans no longer have to be tied to a computer or a printer. I think the average price I paid for upper deck tickets with fees the last few years was around nine or ten bucks. I've also sat in the lower level between the dugouts for $35 (SH fees included) or less on many, many occasions. It's not just the Orioles, it's spectator sports in general.

I'll keep attending games ad-hoc, weather permitting, skip the time it takes to swap out/exchange season tickets, and still come out ahead.

Exactly. It’s more trouble than it is worth for most people. If you are a creature of habit and want the same exact seat or entertaining for clients then maybe. Flexibility is the most important thing nowadays with Stubhub st your finger tips. 

28 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Exactly. It’s more trouble than it is worth for most people. If you are a creature of habit and want the same exact seat or entertaining for clients then maybe. Flexibility is the most important thing nowadays with Stubhub st your finger tips. 

I take it these clients are Yankees and Red Sox fans. 

I renewed a few days ago. The crime in Baltimore bothers me more than ever but I decided to keep going. I told my ticket rep to tell Elias to get armed security on the lots between Oriole Park and M & T Bank Stadium. In all of the years I have been parking there I have never seen an armed security guard or city police officer on the lots.  I've always been told the lots are privately maintained and the Orioles can't do anything. This year I took it to  a higher level and said if someone gets assaulted by the squeegee boys or friends of theirs in an area gang it will be a major problem for the Orioles drawing fans in the future. I also mentioned seeing men and women leaving games at night sometimes in the 7th inning because it's already 10:30 PM and they have to leave because of their drive and getting up early to go to work the next day.  Walking down through those lots at night alone or even with someone is not safe.  My rep told me he had passed my information up the ladder and hoped they would do something to satisfy me.  If I see Elias walking around during a game and nothing has changed I will approach him about it. He seems to be a guy that listens and takes action. Another renewal ! How could I change now when they have made the kind of changes I have been clamoring for. Speed, Speed , Speed! Move players along with smart hitting moving runners up......small ball ? yes ! Enough to make things interesting mixed in with some power.

1 minute ago, section18 said:

I renewed a few days ago. The crime in Baltimore bothers me more than ever but I decided to keep going. I told my ticket rep to tell Elias to get armed security on the lots between Oriole Park and M & T Bank Stadium. In all of the years I have been parking there I have never seen an armed security guard or city police officer on the lots.  I've always been told the lots are privately maintained and the Orioles can't do anything. This year I took it to  a higher level and said if someone gets assaulted by the squeegee boys or friends of theirs in an area gang it will be a major problem for the Orioles drawing fans in the future. I also mentioned seeing men and women leaving games at night sometimes in the 7th inning because it's already 10:30 PM and they have to leave because of their drive and getting up early to go to work the next day.  Walking down through those lots at night alone or even with someone is not safe.  My rep told me he had passed my information up the ladder and hoped they would do something to satisfy me.  If I see Elias walking around during a game and nothing has changed I will approach him about it. He seems to be a guy that listens and takes action. Another renewal ! How could I change now when they have made the kind of changes I have been clamoring for. Speed, Speed , Speed! Move players along with smart hitting moving runners up......small ball ? yes ! Enough to make things interesting mixed in with some power.

I don’t think Mike Elias’ job responsibilities involve parking lot security. 

He parks outside the warehouse and probably doesn't know.  The police are obvious when you cross the light rail tracks directing traffic approaching the warehouse.  That's the closest they get.  He obviously would put someone under him in charge of looking into this matter and correcting this problem. It would help with ticket sales if this subject was addressed.

3 minutes ago, section18 said:

He parks outside the warehouse and probably doesn't know.  The police are obvious when you cross the light rail tracks directing traffic approaching the warehouse.  That's the closest they get.  He obviously would put someone under him in charge of looking into this matter and correcting this problem. It would help with ticket sales if this subject was addressed.

Not Elias’ job.    The guy who is head of business operations has responsibility for that kind of stuff.   He does not report to Elias.

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

So you think Brian Cashman is involved in Yankee Stadium Parking lot security?

I am fine with your idea of increased security but this isn’t a baseball ops responsibility. 

Thanks ! I know that ! My ticket rep mentioned someone's name to me and said he would pass my comments along to him a few weeks ago. l can tell you there are a lot of women who love baseball and said they will not go during week nights due to smaller crowds and not having someone to walk with near to their car and not feeling safe.  Someone told me the guys that take tickets standing outside and saying goodbye after games will walk you to your car if asked.  Ladies !! FYI !

We had our ticket group draft today and I’m pretty happy.    I managed to get 6 Saturday/Sunday games out of my 8 game allotment, including giveaway games for tote bags and Hawaiian shirts.    And the six weekend games are one each month, nicely spread.    The two weeknight games are pretty early on, April and May, so well before we’re mathematically eliminated.   All in all, I’m happy to have some games to look forward to.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We had our ticket group draft today and I’m pretty happy.    I managed to get 6 Saturday/Sunday games out of my 8 game allotment, including giveaway games for tote bags and Hawaiian shirts.    And the six weekend games are one each month, nicely spread.    The two weeknight games are pretty early on, April and May, so well before we’re mathematically eliminated.   All in all, I’m happy to have some games to look forward to.   

Yeah, that won't happen until at least June.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived