Reminder: Official Press Conference Monday Noon

Going Underground

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

If Buck did anything better in his press conference it was that he told haggard and exhausted Baltimore fans exactly what they needed to hear. It was a wonder to watch; a masterful but all the same genuine performance. 

But Brandon doesn't need to do that because we are not mired in 14 consecutive losing seasons. We've tasted the playoffs again, we have a new leader in Elias who is trying to drag the organization into the present and most fans agree with that approach. To do what Buck did I think would have come across insincere. We know he's a rookie, he knows he's a rookie. He stuck to telling you what his strengths are and promising a healthy collaboration with the GM. Something that was not at play with Buck and Dan. 

I just think it's fascinating, the differences at play here. 

I always come back to this Boswell article. Not sure about the analytics part but other things I agree with.

Williams will find a hundred ways to say “we play ’em one at a time.” He’ll work to give pleasant factual answers that reveal nothing proprietary about his team or personal about himself. He is the 21st century manager: part of a smart workaholic chain of decision-making who knows the latest trends but keeps his methods and clubhouse dynamics on a CIA need-to-know basis. (You don’t need to know.) He’s privately amusing, publicly expressionless. He makes drying paint look exciting.

Showalter is every memorable manager who got his first gig in the 20th century. Or the 19th. He played the game at the squadouche level, got fired three times but kept evolving. He loves modern chilly analytics but also embodies baseball’s warm past, the desire to draw in fans as friends, the press as their portal, in a way that’s being lost. He’s openly amusing, strategically expressive and makes you want to paint his house, then stick around until it dries, just to hear him keep talking ball.

Three hours before Friday’s game, Showalter strode into his interview room carrying an orange-and-black Orioles fungo bat like a general’s swagger stick. Planning to hit grounders to the media? No. But as accessories go, perfect. In his other hand, a cup of joe for aesthetic balance. Caffeine and cudgel. It’s a look.

On the way out, he met three Orioles fans. “You just have to meet these ladies,” Showalter’s wife insisted.

“They’re all about 85,” Showalter said. “They all know everything about the team — strategy, injuries. One of them says, ‘My favorite part of the game is afterwards when you come on TV and [act like] you can make some sense of it.’

“They made my day,” Buck said with a laugh.

And for many, visa versa.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/even-in-an-era-of-garden-gnomes-buck-showalter-does-things-his-own-way/2015/07/11/e0281156-269b-11e5-aae2-6c4f59b050aa_story.html?utm_term=.c8cef4dcd39d

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Three hours before Friday’s game, Showalter strode into his interview room carrying an orange-and-black Orioles fungo bat like a general’s swagger stick. Planning to hit grounders to the media? No. But as accessories go, perfect. In his other hand, a cup of joe for aesthetic balance. Caffeine and cudgel. It’s a look.

I will miss that. ?

15 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Hyde: "I’m going to be me, but I definitely have a ton of respect for who’s been in that chair for the last eight or nine years.” #orioles

Afterward found singing:

Any idea what Buck was singing watching this all take place back in Texas?

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The Orioles are crumbling down.

Or this?

Beat up little Oriole. . Hard times with the Orioles. 

And they hide their faces And they hide their eyes 'Cause the Orioles are terrible' And they  know why

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I think he's just referencing the collaborative nature of what is about to occur. It's a process that is about developing players. I don't see this as him talking about anything specific to managing games. 

Agreed.  And Elias also said that Hyde would be an integral part of the front office so he’ll be involved in the “process” there as well.

Archived