Rank the #1 Draft Disappointments

now

Rank the #1 Draft Disappointments  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been most disappointing to you as a #1 draft choice, over the last 20 years? (objective or subjective) (multiple choices possible)

• 2016 Cody Sedlock
    • 2013 Hunter Harvey
    • 2012 Kevin Gausman
    • 2011 Dylan Bundy
    • 2009 Matt Hopgood
    • 2008 Brian Matusz
    • 2007 Matt Wieters
    • 2006 Billy Rowell
    • 2004 Wade Townsend
    • 2002 Adam Loewen

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Townsend was a last minute audible when Angelos went in the draft room and demanded they draft a college pitcher.  They were set to draft a SS, either Chris Nelson or Stephen Drew.

I wasn't paying attention that year.  It was my understanding that money played a part in his selection.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't paying attention that year.  It was my understanding that money played a part in his selection.

Angelos did want someone who would sign for the slot bonus, which was $2.2M.   

Supposedly, they offered Townsend $1.85M and he went back to college instead.

I’m going with Hobgood, because he was a reach the day we picked him, and then he NEVER did anything to suggest why we picked him there, not even at Aberdeen.   Rowell, at least, had a good Bluefield/Aberdeen debut and a respectable first full season at Delmarva.  

18 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

Passing on Buster probably cost us WS in 2014. 

Wieters was drafted the year before, so they weren't going for another catcher.  In terms of career WAR, Matusz was 21st in that 1st round, several spots behind a guy named Andrew Cashner.

If you want to play what-if's, draft Bumgarner in '07 & Posey in '08, both selections came after the Orioles' picks.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We've been fortunate enough to have both of those frauds lace em up in Baltimore.

Matusz' 10.69 ERA in 2011 still holds the all-time record for worst mark by a pitcher with at least 10 starts.  Tillman was chasing that ignominious mark when he was cut after 7 starts and an ERA of 10.46.

12 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Wieters was drafted the year before, so they weren't going for another catcher.  In terms of career WAR, Matusz was 21st in that 1st round, several spots behind a guy named Andrew Cashner.

If you want to play what-if's, draft Bumgarner in '07 & Posey in '08, both selections came after the Orioles' pick.

Yeahhhhh - the next Cole Hamels, that was the ticket!  And Hamels is still around garnering more positive WAR!

5 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Townsend was a last minute audible when Angelos went in the draft room and demanded they draft a college pitcher.  They were set to draft a SS, either Chris Nelson or Stephen Drew.

?

Archived